New hunter, where is better

expatspain

By looking at this image where, in your opinions, is best to start fossil hunting? The base of the Sierra de Los Filabres was the Iberian coastline until around 8 million years ago when the rest emerged from the sea. We live 15 minutes from Almeria on the coast and have a fascination with sealife. As this sedimentary area was under the ancient sea, it would seem a good large region, minus any protected areas of course, to make a start. Opinions from your knowledge or experience is appreciated.

Geology SE Spain.JPG

So "sedimentary basin" is all Miocene and Pliocene? Whats the lithology of the basin fill? What is described? There seems to be a somewhat rough terrain west of Tabernas and a ridge east of Tabernas. What is this ridge composed of? Without any other info, I would explore these areas. Yes, quite a stretch of land to explore ;).

Ok!!

Based on that one, I would check out the reefs around Tabernas first:

Tabernas desert

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

So "sedimentary basin" is all Miocene and Pliocene? Whats the lithology of the basin fill? What is described? There seems to be a somewhat rough terrain west of Tabernas and a ridge east of Tabernas. What is this ridge composed of? Without any other info, I would explore these areas. Yes, quite a stretch of land to explore ;).

Ok!!

Based on that one, I would check out the reefs around Tabernas first:

Tabernas desert

Franz Bernhard

This from Department of Stratigraphy and Paleontology. University of Granada is informative of that region.

https://digibug.ugr.es/bitstream/handle/10481/2700/10 Tabernas basin.pdf?sequence=15&isAllowed=y

• I found this Informative 1

Nice!!

Not a very fossil-rich succession in general - Go for the reefs!

This one was already suggested somewhere else:

Field guide

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1