Real? Spinosaurus Tooth and Claw

Not sure of the authenticity but good god that's an absolutely massive Spino tooth. The root is crazy!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Sorry but the claw has been fabricated so it's a fake, might have some real sections on it.   The crown is real the root  looks like acomposite.  Difficult hard to say how much is real and belongs to that crown but I would say not much.  A dip in acetone would tell.

Edit: will alter my comments slightly on the tooth.  The root if its real, which I doubt, has been composited.

• I Agree 1

I agree. The claw is carved. Badly. 

The tooth root is covered in matrix so you can't see it or the join with the crown clearly. Often a red flag. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Interesting. When you guys say “carved” does that mean taking an unrelated bone material and carving it completely to mimic a claw? 

Yes some take real bone and carve it in the shape of the claw.    Others use real claw fragments and composite carved and real together.  I've even seen wood used.

It's a big problem and I put this topic together to help collectors

• I found this Informative 1

@Sid, please replace the identification request and images in your original post.  It is poor form to remove content where others have taken the time to respond.  Thanks.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 7

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ