Hello all. I am looking to buy my first fossil, and found this Spinosauridae tooth for sale online. No repair or restoration work was listed but I would love a second opinion.

Thank you. :)

222540-39.jpg

222540-40.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

A gentle reminder that we do not discuss dealers in any way, shape, or form, here on the Forum.

Any discussion should only be about the fossils themselves. ;)

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That being said, this tooth looks typical of Moroccan spinosaurid teeth for sale, it is probably a juvenile due to the size.

image.png.99d4e3785c0972ba3f0d81cf68a87a35.png

There appears to be evidence of feeding wear on the apex of the enamel. I'm not seeing any red flags.

@Troodon might be able to help a bit. This probably comes from Taouz, Kem Kem Basin, Morocco - making it Late Cretaceous, Cenomanian, ~98–92.5ma old. 

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks fairly tidy, there is a slim chance there might be a repair of a crack near the tip as you can see the same faint line on both sides. That isn't really anything to worry about and is very common as is the tooth.

So my advice is check the size of it as they can vary massively (this looks probs a few inches?), have a look around at others to get an idea of a reasonable price for that size and make sure you are happy.

Have a search on here of Spinosaurus teeth and you will find lots of topics to give you and idea of good and bad!

8 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

That being said, this tooth looks typical of Moroccan spinosaurid teeth for sale, it is probably a juvenile due to the size.

image.png.99d4e3785c0972ba3f0d81cf68a87a35.png

There appears to be evidence of feeding wear on the apex of the enamel. I'm not seeing any red flags.

@Troodon might be able to help a bit. This probably comes from Taouz, Kem Kem Basin, Morocco - making it Late Cretaceous, Cenomanian, ~98–92.5ma old. 

Thank you so much!

2 minutes ago, mr.cheese said:

Welcome to the forum.

Looks fairly tidy, there is a slim chance there might be a repair of a crack near the tip as you can see the same faint line on both sides. That isn't really anything to worry about and is very common as is the tooth.

So my advice is check the size of it as they can vary massively (this looks probs a few inches?), have a look around at others to get an idea of a reasonable price for that size and make sure you are happy.

Have a search on here of Spinosaurus teeth and you will find lots of topics to give you and idea of good and bad!

Thank you for the advice! :b_love1:

Yep a Spinosaurid from the Kem Kem Group.  The very tip appears missing and some matrix has been added to round it off otherwise very nice tooth. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Hello, 

Yes this tooth is real with partly rooth, no repairs apart from some filler.

Overal nice tooth. These are pretty common in this size. 

Tooth looks nice and real, something to add and its a really odd situation in Morocco some of the main dealers add matrix and glue to the tips even if all they have is natural feeding wear or wear facet.