Tales From the Shale

Does anyone know of the specific location of roadcuts in Oglesby Illinois? I heard of a large productive one, but haven't been able to locate it specifically.

Thanks

You might consider searching the Forum, then messaging any members who have hunted there.  ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It has been discussed in numerous threads here, with a little searching it would be easy to find.

That said, too overgrown with poison ivy to hunt right now.

12 hours ago, connorp said:

It has been discussed in numerous threads here, with a little searching it would be easy to find.

That said, too overgrown with poison ivy to hunt right now.

This is one of those you hunt when the vegetation isn't there. If you put oglesby in the search bar you'll find more info and photos of this site. Many of our members have hunted there.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I just hunted there a week ago as I was traversing the State of Illinois. Here was my worst find.

DSC_0058.thumb.JPG.77d5ac1806c16524d68dc29ed094772a.JPG

Poison ivy all over my body and I was very careful. So heed the advise of @connorp!!!!! I will submit a trip report when finished itching and my finds are cleaned up a bit.

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Enjoyed 2

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I just hunted there a week ago as I was traversing the State of Illinois. Here was my worst find.

Poison ivy all over my body and I was very careful. So heed the advise of @connorp!!!!! I will submit a trip report when finished itching and my finds are cleaned up a bit.

Besides poison ivy, you have ticks, large wasps and really large thorn bushes.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Well thanks for the advice gentlemen, guess I'll have to wait or try to hack through it, to acquire the treasure below.

20 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Oof! You are braver than me. I look forward to your report, though.

I would say September through May would be better times to visit, with October-November and March- April being the ideal months.