Sorry but it’s another tooth I.D please

Randyw

I was in my local rock shop today just killing some time before an appointment and I found this tooth in with his morroccan mosasaur teeth. It’s got really fine serrations on the edges so at first I thought shark but that doesn’t seem right either. The folds? Waves? In the tooth is throwing me. Any suggestions? Thank you for looking!

9B04EE00-EEE1-4DB6-BC0C-0AD89C9CBC08.jpeg

C32D7F05-11BD-4B55-AF00-92CAB39AE978.jpeg

62198505-CE6B-44F9-BF9E-195E0DF06777.jpeg

CF539BA4-7B5D-48E6-A874-4F5D0EBD000B.jpeg

9F4412FF-7D5C-4D77-B0D7-FB6D745A7AC7.jpeg

56099FD2-0D13-4555-AB2C-1471115B2B7B.jpeg

Edited by Randyw

Mosasaur seems correct although I can't say which.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon @Praefectus are the experts. I can't quite see any serrations in these photos, but if I ventured a guess, those strong facets (I believe what you refer to as "folds/waves") make me think it's the tip of a Mosasaur tooth of the genus Mosasaurus, though I have no clue what species. In your 4th photo I think I see a bit of the genus' characteristic lingual curvature, in other words the tip curves/tilts towards the inside of the mouth instead of being perfectly straight. Here's an example of a complete crown with I think similar preservation and color: 

Edited by Mochaccino
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

It is a Mosasaurus beaugei tooth.

The folds dividing up the enamel surface are called facets (or prisms). They are an identifier of Mosasaurus teeth and can be used to tell apart the species. Generally, 3-5 facets on the labial (cheek-facing side) and 8-9 lingual (tongue-facing side) diagnoses M. beaugei, while 2-3 labially and <5 lingually diagnoses M. hoffmannii. Another character pointing your tooth towards M. beaugei is the relatively slender cross-section at the base. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

Can't but agree with Trevor's diagnosis. The tooth is but a tip and far from a complete tooth, however.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

@Mochaccino @Praefectus  thanks! I think thats it! Its the first beaugei I’ve ever seen! Facets! Thats the word i was looking for! I was having a brain fart last night when i posted this and couldn’t think of it! And thanks for posting that I.D pic now i can finish updating the labels on my other mosasaur teeth!

• Enjoyed 2