Platecarpus ptychodon?! Central Texas

Cambjm06

Found this today in a dry creek bed where I have found previous cretaceous pieces (sharks teeth). Was just laying there in some small gravel.  Roughly 3 CM and some (small) change. 

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

Edited by Cambjm06
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Cool looking tooth!

Thanks for posting it.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Platecarpus ptychodon is an old and invalid name that was used to refer to what is now known as Gavialimimus almaghribensis, a genus and species that is only known from Morocco. This tooth is not that - though I do agree it look reptile. It's hard to tell whether the specimen has any ornamentation (e.g., striations), though, or whether what I'm seeing is rather cracking in the enamel. It's also hard to tell whether or not the piece has sharp cutting edges on the front and back sides of the tooth. Its overall conical shape is rather generic, which means the specimen cannot easily be assigned to one or the other clade. Thus, it would also help to know a bit more about the geological context in which this was found. You say this tooth was found amongst Cretaceous finds, but do you know from what part of the Cretaceous? If not, we've got many knowledgable members that might be able to figure this out based on approximate locality information. Knowing what other fossils have been found in the area would be another way to determine age.

Currently, I'm thinking this tooth does indeed most look like a mosasaur, with carinae front and back. The tooth also appears to bear raised ridges, however, for which reason, based on the information presently available I wouldn't yet want to rule out plesiosaur (sensu lato). Answers to the above questions and more crisp photographs, especially some at off angles, would help narrow down the possibilities of what this could be.

Whatever the case: nice find! :default_clap2:

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Hey there @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon! Thanks so much for the knowledge! It was found in eastern Travis County, Texas. I do not know a ton about the geology, but would love to learn more. I am adding some photos of my other finds from the same 2 miles of water. If any other specific photo angles would be helpful, just let me know and I can try and capture them. It's an odd color to get my cell phone camera to focus on. 

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

@Jared C @Ptychodus04 @JohnJ Would any of you, based on associated finds and locality information, know what age the tooth might be? I'm unfortunately not quite familiar with the geology of Travis County, although I believe the Austin Chalk crops up there, which would make the tooth Santonian-Campanian in age, ruling out not just ichthyosaurs, but also pliosaurs and elasmosaurs (the latter based on morphology), and make mosasaur the more likely. This is confirmed by the two carinae I think I'm seeing. As the tooth is otherwise rather upright and conical, without any lingual curvature (towards the tongue) and there appear to be tertiary striae along the base of the crown, I'd say this is likely to be a Tylosaurus sp..

1643902643_AustinChalkstratigraphiccolumninTexas.thumb.png.8a77b50574a85d85955c01b8955a019c.png

(source)

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Awesome find! Considering the general area you provided, and seeing the "look" of those fossils, I'm fairly sure I've hit the same creek before (keep it secret!). Creeks in that area cut through a smorgasbord of formations, but for the most part, finds come from the Austin chalk and the Ozan. All of the three mosasaur teeth I've seen from your area were fairly posiitively ID'd as Tylosaurus proriger, but I know Platecarpus is another main player. It seems a bit robust for a Platecarpus, but I don't see much of the curvature in the upper third of the tooth that I'm used to from T. proriger. I would default to @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon's ID of T. proriger.

Now, you may not realize it, but by far your rarest find in that batch is the chunk of cidarid echinoid. It's the left most echinoid (the one to the right is likely some phymosomatid).

If you don't mind, can you share some bright, close, clear photos of the cidarid piece? 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

17 minutes ago, Jared C said:

Awesome find! Considering the general area you provided, and seeing the "look" of those fossils, I'm fairly sure I've hit the same creek before (keep it secret!). Creeks in that area cut through a smorgasbord of formations, but for the most part, finds come from the Austin chalk and the Ozan. All of the three mosasaur teeth I've seen from your area were fairly posiitively ID'd as Tylosaurus proriger, but I know Platecarpus is another main player. It seems a bit robust for a Platecarpus, but I don't see much of the curvature in the upper third of the tooth that I'm used to from T. proriger. I would default to @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon's ID of T. proriger.

Now, you may not realize it, but by far your rarest find in that batch is the chunk of cidarid echinoid. It's the left most echinoid (the one to the right is likely some phymosomatid).

If you don't mind, can you share some bright, close, clear photos of the cidarid piece? 

@Jared C Wow, thanks for giving me all that added context I'm so excited to learn more about it! T.proriger was huge!  It does not have much curvature to it at all, but does seem to have the lines or carinae that pachy mentioned (learning so many new words here lol). I would never mention this body of water's holy name on the internet, but I love it there, never know what your eye will spy. Here are the photos you requested, if you need anything else angle wise, let me know. The conch shell threw me for a loop last week, though not that old (I dont think). 

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2249.jpg

Edited by Cambjm06
  • Enjoyed 1

2 minutes ago, Cambjm06 said:

Sorry, @Jared C I now realize you meant this one: 

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2253.jpg

Awesome. I was curious if enough detail existed to make a comparison to two other specimens that I know of. Your Cidarid, by the way, almost certainly comes from Austin Chalk (upper cretaceous), based on the other fossils you found it in it's vicinity and what I know about the geology around there.  

Cidarids are rare everywhere, but are more usually found in lower cretaceous strata. Upper Cretaceous Cidarids are a tier rarer. Your specimen seems a bit water rolled to draw a close comparison but it's cool that you found it regardless! Compare with an Austin Chalk specimen below:

cid.jpg.0744255c981e0a32299d40864ef08130.jpgcidagain.jpg.93a4d88ddc0813fb16a23bc19543e2cf.jpg

Another reason cidarids are cool is because they still exist, in many extremely bizarre forms, as the most primitive sea urchins alive today

1988372275_IMG-2475(1).thumb.jpg.167d51d5fa81bb26bff9f9206ee84630.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Very cool, I can see especially in the second example pic how the circles/line pattern matches up with mine. I will move that one from the outside fossils to the inside shelf lol. Thank you again for all your shared info! 

Hi,

25 minutes ago, Jared C said:

1988372275_IMG-2475(1).thumb.jpg.167d51d5fa81bb26bff9f9206ee84630.jpg

Oh, my avatar on the right side bottom !

Coco

• Enjoyed 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

For comparison, maxillary teeth from a Tylosaurus sp. found in the Austin Chalk.

Premaxilla

IMG_20220721_160658767.jpg

IMG_20220721_160735513_HDR.jpg

Maxilla

IMG_20220721_152740085.jpg

Maxillary teeth

IMG_20220721_162015993.jpg

IMG_20220721_161858696.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

For comparison, maxillary teeth from a Tylosaurus sp. found in the Austin Chalk.

That's an awesome specimen! :o And these enamel folds on the maxillary teeth are really unusual too - don't see them that often in mosasaurs in general (except for P. solvayi) - but this is also the first time I see them on a tylosaurine. Most of the material I've seen - whether Moroccan, US, or "Hainosaurus" bernardi from the Low Countries - has much more subtitles tertiary striae around the circumference of the base of the tooth (if anything at all) - although T. ivoniensis from the Kristianstad Basin in Sweden, shown below, also has elongate enamel folds, albeit of a narrower variety (source):

508325343_Tylosaurusivoensistooth.png.cb897d16596c6c2dc49792eb83b83be2.png

• Thank You 1

I'm just here to appreciate the Cretoxyrhina :popcorn:

• Enjoyed 4

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Isolated teeth can be hard to positively ID. While I agree with the others that it looks tylosaurine, for accuracy’s sake I would label it as “Mosasaur indet. cf. Tylosaurus sp.”

Without a mosasaur expert looking at it, this is the most specific identification that you can use, especially since it was found in float rather than in situ, as @Jared C noted that the specific creek passes through multiple formations.

• I Agree 3