Strange observation…..

marcltetreault

Try not to laugh, but I have a couple of items

( I say items because they have not been identified yet so I have no clue if they are rocks or actual fossils) that have been scrubbed with Dawn and a toothbrush and left to dry.  
Today I was cleaning some others and went to move some I cleaned the day before, and noticed with my hands wet but clean that some actually felt like they were sticky? Just about to the point of holding it’s self vertical from my finger.  If my hands were dry…. These feel and act like any of the others laying there.  
Does this indicate anything other than strange that is.  
Thank you 

You didn't rinse them enough would be my first thought.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I thought that also and scrubbed again with just hot water and got the same results.  :zzzzscratchchin: 

Keeping the strange going I read something about black light shell fossils.  So I took my 365nm black light I use for minerals and found that the Belemnites wicked glow and I have some fossil Scallops that glow a very deep red.  But the Modern day scallops and the run of the mill shells you find on the beach don’t.   

Coprolites will behave that way if thy have not been reworked into a younger unit.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, ynot said:

Any porous rock will do this. Chalk and low grade turquois can be "sticky" to a wet finger or tongue.

This is (one reason) why the old “lick test” to check for fossil bone is so untrustworthy. The bone may give a sticky feeling to the tongue, but so will any other porous rock!

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)