Mystery Oyster content

marcltetreault

So, I found a large complete Oyster at Poricy Park, NJ and was cleaning it as gentle as I could as it is very fragile but after a while of running warm water over it the two halves separated in it was nothing but hardened mud, silt or clay of some sort.  But inside to one edge of the shell against the bottom half was something hard, not round but triangular in shape with  about 1/2” sides.  This was the only thing found within the two halves except for the very fine sediment.  
Opinions?? 
Thank you. 

7DEC717B-4A6B-4A5A-85BD-CA0D2BCB9307.jpeg

F9597730-346A-469B-AF8B-7FC16D00C494.jpeg

65F3B79F-5801-4528-9237-A5DF3BCA0E36.jpeg

Most probably just cemented sediment. I can't see much detail in the photos, but the item appears quite granular in texture.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hi Mark, in the first picture there is an exposed end that mineral formation seems to be taking place.  The rest of it is very hard not crumbly at all I even took the plastic end of the tooth brush to knock off all I could to get down to the root of it all. 

( Same picture cropped for more detail)

C36F0A8D-0B39-4C72-814C-A1D56C0C75BC.jpeg

I can't tell what it is, but it got between the valves after the oyster died and formed independent of the oyster's life. Not pearl formation if that's what you may have thought. It does look like some mineralization was taking place, but it would probably have happened with or without the influence of the oyster. Not part of the oyster's body parts either. That would not be preserved 99.999% of the time, and would not look like this.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
added info

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!