Waurika Oklahoma Permian Fossils

Dimetrodon7274

Hello 

I am planning a trip to Oklahoma and wondered if anyone knew were to fossil hunt in the waurika area?

Thanks

A search of the forum for Waurika should yield some possibilities.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

unless you plan on hunting road-cuts, you'll need to do a lot of pre-planning.  Its all going to be on private property, so that means that first you need to track down the spots know to produce (and may some google-earth exploring to find nearby exposures).  Then you need to track down the property owners and their addresses, then you need to start your trip by visiting the land owners (hopefully they live nearby, and hopefully they are home, and hopefully they will grant you access).  Then you have to hope you can actually find something at the sites.

Good luck.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

It is not likely that collectors will post their productive site information online. Keep in mind that, as collectors, we spend a great deal of time reading maps, satellite searches, and consulting the literature to guide our prospects. Member hadrosauridae gave you some excellent advice above.

• I Agree 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Yeah, from what I've heard, there are no easy spots for that Early Permian vertebrate stuff.  You either have to know someone who's already set up with contacts (and that assumes that person gets permission to bring in an extra person) or you have to do your homework.  When I started collecting fossils in the late 80's, there were still spots in my area where I could park if not almost right on top of the spot or within sight.  The easy sites are gone now.  Someone built something on top of it or the land changed hands and the current owner/government doesn't want anyone digging there.  This seems to be happening all over the country and all over the world. 

Now, the homework involved in finding a good place to walk or dig is at least half of all the work.  It's tougher when you're a few states away.  Believe me,  I know.

• I found this Informative 3