Strange cretaceous fossil ID

Anders Jonasson

Hello.

Needing help to ID this strange fossil.

Found in a quarry i Scania, southern Sweden. 

Lowermost lower campanian. Sandy biocalcarenites. Nearshore enviroment. 

The quarry have produced a number of rare, still unidentified fossils both marine and terrestrial.

Findings of mosasaurs, marine crocodylomorphs, aquatic birds, flying reptiles, bony fishes, sharks and also neaceratopsian dinosaurs have been made in the quarry.

I have sent pictures of this fossil to a local expert at Lunds University but it´s still unidentified.

The brown bone seems to end in a hard white beak but on both sides there are also a sharp thin triangular dark brown "tooth" somewhat like the side cusps on a shark tooth. The left one is missing.

Greatful for any help :)

20220622_205348.jpg

20220622_230631.jpg

20220622_230638.jpg

20220730_201032.jpg

20220730_201043.jpg

20220730_201054.jpg

20220730_203425.jpg

Edited by Anders Jonasson

4 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It resembles a rhyncholite.

That was on my mind also but what about the two thin dark brown "side cusps"? They seems hollow and to thin to work as cutting devices.

• Enjoyed 1

Modern nautilus beaks have a white mineralized portion of the beak that is surrounded by a chitinous part of the jaw. I have a photo of one. I’ll try to find it.

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, Al Dente said:

Here are my photos of a modern Nautilus jaw. 

12A8694E-FF9F-4479-B3AA-704EA4055ADB.jpeg

D6BB1CC0-D6DA-4025-AA24-B1CD0830AC5E.jpeg

They do look alike. Thank You vey much! :)

• I found this Informative 1

It is unusual for the organic matter to be preserved around a fossil rhyncholite. This might be something a paleontologist would be interested in studying.

• I found this Informative 1

38 minutes ago, TqB said:

+1 for rhyncholite. Nice find. :)

Just now, Al Dente said:

It is unusual for the organic matter to be preserved around a fossil rhyncholite. This might be something a paleontologist would be interested in studying.

Thank! :) 

Is it possible to determine if it the beak from an octopus, belemnite or a ammonite?

Do You know an expert on cephalopods who might be interested whom I could contact?

54 minutes ago, Anders Jonasson said:

Is it possible to determine if it the beak from an octopus, belemnite or a ammonite?

Most likely a nautiloid. Octopus and belemnites don’t have calcite in their beaks. Some ammonites did but they were shaped differently.

56 minutes ago, Anders Jonasson said:

Do You know an expert on cephalopods who might be interested whom I could contact?

I can look up some recent papers on rhyncholites to see who is currently studying them. I can send you some info in a few days.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Most likely a nautiloid. Octopus and belemnites don’t have calcite in their beaks. Some ammonites did but they were shaped differently.

I can look up some recent papers on rhyncholites to see who is currently studying them. I can send you some info in a few days.

Much appreciated :) 

Thanks for all the help!