Painted my fossils... by accident. HELP

Slow Walker

I was dipping my fossils in acetone and B76 in order to stabilize them for long term storage but my clear gloves started to disintegrate into the acetone and the fossils soaked it up. I didn't notice any color change until they dried and where coated in white. It only affected some of the last ones I dipped but they are also the ones I want to id. it's possible the dye came from something else as when I started using different plastic gloves it really coated them white. 

Can the color be removed? The structure can still be seen in the fish verts but suppose to be gray color. Im testing one by soaking in Acetone to see if it comes out. 

20220801_123128.jpg

20220801_123342.jpg

14 minutes ago, jpc said:

Not sure what we are looking at.... the fossils seem to be OK.  The gloves are trashed, though. 

Sorry if the photos are poor.

In the 1st photo there are some fish vertebras that are partly digested by a Mosasaur and are accidentally whitewashed in something that got into my glue stabilizer.  They are supposed to be a dark Gray but they are splashed in White coloring.

The 2nd picture is some blue rubber gloves that I use after the thin clear gloves dissolved in the acetone you can see the gloves picked up some of the glue over time from dipping them in the glue and accumulated a white color coat.

Given the condition of the vertebrae, I think you're safe soaking them in small containers of acetone to see if it helps.

• Enjoyed 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I had gloves dissolve like that in acetone the first time I tried it. The white is actually the dissolved glove material deposited on the pieces along with the paraloid when the acetone evaperated away. I was lucky and it just deposited on the surface of my speciman. (It wasn’t very porous) and I was able to remove the deposits with a brush and pure acetone. Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

I also learnt a lesson along these lines 

I was dissolving some paraloid in acetone to stabilise some plant fossils that I had collected. 

My wife's favorite nicely decorated salad bowl seemed the right size and shape for the project.....until it started dissolving. 

She was not happy with me.   :Speechless:

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector