What are these fossils?

Fossil finder 100

Today I have some fossils and would like some help identifying them. Thanks ahead of time! The first one is from Florida and I think it’s just a piece of bone but don’t know. The second is also from Florida. The trilobite I got from creed Colorado but suspect it might be from somewhere else. I know the condition of the trilobite and the lack of location will make it hard to identify but thanks for any feedback!

99F7A82F-2E7F-405E-971F-49CEFEC9A3FD.jpeg

F19430CF-7CBB-4068-B1C7-91DE84CFFD96.jpeg

744A0A00-306D-4BE5-81E4-A5D4744B4F1A.jpeg

3944AD03-4FA0-41C3-A659-81A14663FA90.jpeg

AD25E4AE-F523-4E90-9C6F-73E52694F0AE.jpeg

ED46E8E3-038B-47E3-96EB-AE4466CBEBF6.jpeg

861CEAEC-C4C4-4089-9430-E99CDC3F7F30.jpeg

5BA7364B-4A6D-47E7-B6DF-5719838E5661.jpeg

D1BFDA1C-89BD-48D3-8FD5-85CBF03ECFB1.jpeg

B54F1A53-71D6-4E97-A87C-4384E7B5C646.jpeg

F26D75EC-1F09-44A9-8D38-D7E17056E2E1.jpeg

The lack of pygidial ribs on your second specimen suggests it is Colpocoryphe grandis, Ordovician in age, from Morocco.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Your trilobite is not from Colorado as you suspected but from the Ordovician of Morocco. It looks like Colpocoryphe grandis to me. Not sure about the bones though.

Edit: Kane was 7 seconds quicker

Edited by Top Trilo
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

First bone could be anything from Florida really - but I'm gonna say dugong, cause it's common and the shape is right. The second is a vertebrae - looks relatively cetacean in nature, but also very compressed so i'm not fully sure.

• Thank You 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I agree with the others about the third specimen in order. I call that nice, big trilo a " remake ". :)

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The first one reminds me of a chelonian, but I know nothing about bones that aren't from Red Hill.

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I agree with the others about the third specimen in order. I call that nice, big trilo a " remake ". :)

I'm curious about your statement. :) 

I don't think it has much by way of restoration, but is likely glued together near the pygidium. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by remake, ce dracu! :D 

• I Agree 1

Just now, Kane said:

I'm curious about your statement. :) 

I don't think it has much by way of restoration, but is likely glued together near the pygidium.

That's why I call it "remake" and not fake/composed. :)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

That's why I call it "remake" and not fake/composed. :)

Now I understand. Thank you! Multumesc multi! (I will always take an opportunity to practice my Romanian :P ). 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Kane said:

Now I understand. Thank you! Multumesc !

Thank you very much ~ multumesc mult

Thank you ~ multumesc

(We use usually:' 'mercy' 'from French

Thomas Mann

My Library

22 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Thank you very much ~ multumesc mult

Thank you ~ multumesc

(We use usually:' 'mercy' 'from French

Thanks! I can get by in Romania (my supervisor was Romanian, and I got to spend two glorious months in that lovely country where I tried to pick up the language). Of course, I can swear in Romanian, and the creative power of their swears are quite rich! I only had a few challenges in places like Craiova where English is not so well known, or to get a shave where I had to explain that I wanted all the hair from my head removed. Truly a culture I admire, but I mostly was on the west side from Bucuresti to Timisoara and Cluj.

Where my Romanian failed, I could always default to French. *waves to Sophie* Although my French is very Quebecois.

• Enjoyed 3

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Your trilobite is not from Colorado as you suspected but from the Ordovician of Morocco. It looks like Colpocoryphe grandis to me. Not sure about the bones though.

Edit: Kane was 7 seconds quicker

2 hours ago, Kane said:

The lack of pygidial ribs on your second specimen suggests it is Colpocoryphe grandis, Ordovician in age, from Morocco.

I agree this one has a moroccan look.

1 hour ago, Meganeura said:

First bone could be anything from Florida really - but I'm gonna say dugong, cause it's common and the shape is right. The second is a vertebrae - looks relatively cetacean in nature, but also very compressed so i'm not fully sure.

Well, if this is dugong, that's a small Bone, but it could be.

• Enjoyed 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

2 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Well, if this is dugong, that's a small Bone, but it could be.

I've found plenty of thin but long pieces of dugong rib - could be a rib fragment. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks for all the responses, so just to be clear the first one is maybe part of a dugong bone, the second is maybe a part of a vert and the trilobite is a restored Colpocoryphe grandis?

2 minutes ago, Fossil finder 100 said:

Thanks for all the responses, so just to be clear the first one is maybe part of a dugong bone, the second is maybe a part of a vert and the trilobite is a restored Colpocoryphe grandis?

Not restored, simply glued.

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Fossil finder 100 said:

Oh ok thanks for the feedback!

Any time, friend. :) It is missing the cheeks and not worth the effort of restoration shenanigans.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Fossil finder 100 said:

The second is 100000000% a vert, there's no question there - and i'm 99.9% certain it's cetacean in nature (Dolphins and whales). It's also most of the vert, you're only really missing the processes.

• Thank You 1

I agree that the second piece is definitely a vertebra.  Not really a question there.  I don't know enough about dolphins and whales to offer an opinion as to that.

• Thank You 1

Just now, Brandy Cole said:

I agree that the second piece is definitely a vertebra.  Not really a question there.  I don't know enough about dolphins and whales to offer an opinion as to that.

My current thinking is Dolphin - and a lumbar vert at that. Dolphin because of the size, lumbar due to shape.

• Thank You 1

Just now, Brandy Cole said:

@Meganeura yes, I should have been clearer.  I meant I'll defer to you and those with experience in marine mammals to ID the species.  

Psh, I don't have experience beyond google and picking some up myself :heartylaugh: 

• Enjoyed 3