French Hyaenodon preparation

Kiros

After a loooong long time I've got a new piece to prepare! I recently recieve this beautiful Hyaenodon canine from Saint hyppolite de Caton (an upper Eocene locality). Many of you would prefer to leve the tooth in the matrix but I'm just to curious to extract it a see how is preserved on the other side but also because this is rock is super rich of fossils and I want to see if I can find anything else. 

Screenshot_20220808_135620.thumb.jpg.d3dd5ee15ac107cb1045a1af36c41c61.jpg

So I barely started to prepare it. The rock was previously broken in two, probably during the extraction. The matrix is quite soft so it's not hare to work with. From the very first moment I started to find many bone fragment. They are very soft and flaky so paraloid is once again my best friend. 

After few hours of work I found a small tooth few centimeters from the canine it looks like an incisors but I can't determine which animal it is from. If you can help I would be very grateful. Next to this tooth I found a very complex system of bones they are super thin but it is definitely something (maybe reptile?) 

IMG_20220808_093020.jpg

IMG_20220808_093030.jpg

IMG_20220808_093055.jpg

IMG_20220808_093111.jpg

Edited by Kiros
Forgot to add the images

while I'm no good for help on this I must say you have an awesome project unfolding here

• Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

42 minutes ago, Jared C said:

while I'm no good for help on this I must say you have an awesome project unfolding here

Thank you! I'm really enjoying it as you can literally find anything in that matrix. 99% of the times they are just indeterminate fragments but you never know

In case anyone's aware, Hyaenodon currently has over a dozen species assigned to it, and a few of those species in the past have been placed in the subgenera  Neohyaenodon and  Protohyaenodon. The question is whether this tooth is from one of the Eocene Hyaenodon species, given that the type species of HyaenodonH. leptorhynchus, is from late Oligocene deposits in France and Germany, being older than Hyaenodon brachyrhynchus.

6 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Why do you think it's Hyaenodon?

I just reported what the seller told me. I also seen other fossils from that locality assigned to Hyaenodon requieni. But I know very little about this location, I can't find much bibliography about it. Di you think it is something else? Or what to look for to understand what it could be? 

1 hour ago, DD1991 said:

In case anyone's aware, Hyaenodon currently has over a dozen species assigned to it, and a few of those species in the past have been placed in the subgenera  Neohyaenodon and  Protohyaenodon. The question is whether this tooth is from one of the Eocene Hyaenodon species, given that the type species of HyaenodonH. leptorhynchus, is from late Oligocene deposits in France and Germany, being older than Hyaenodon brachyrhynchus.

The seller told me that this locality is priabonian. But it is definitely interesting to research more about it

25 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Why do you think it's Hyaenodon?

In case it could be useful it's maximum length is 7,6 cm and it's maximum traversal diameter is 2 cm more or less. So it must have been a big animal

Edited by Kiros

I don't think it's Hyaenodon. In principle, the enamel of creodonts is chagrined (wrinkled). Your canine is quite smooth.

On this site, there are many different species and the size could correspond to Palaeotherium. The level is Ludian (Upper Eocene)

But that's just a guess

49 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

I don't think it's Hyaenodon. In principle, the enamel of creodonts is chagrined (wrinkled). Your canine is quite smooth.

On this site, there are many different species and the size could correspond to Palaeotherium. The level is Ludian (Upper Eocene)

But that's just a guess

Wow thank you, I didn't consider it could be an herbivore. Thank you so much for your insight! I'll finish to extract it and do more research about it