Jewels from a new site

Jared C

This has to be a very brief report, as I have to hop in my car soon to go hunt for my ever elusive Pseudomegachasma tooth - but I discovered a tiny, amazing site on a scout this weekend:

The trek had me running into several large homeless camps, so I was a little tense the entire time, but the results were worth it. All of these finds came from a sandstone roof above me. It was like looking up at a church ceiling mural, telling a story of some distant time, except this was a ~95 million year old story, of a seafloor frozen in time. For that reason, I named this site "The Sistine Ceiling".

First - The king of the cretaceous: Cretoxyrhina mantelli

IMG-2948.thumb.jpg.74f72a9a7428f10acf58661d4418b704.jpgIMG-2947.thumb.jpg.8bbce767328a66988462979d626dbfbb.jpgIMG-2946.thumb.jpg.ae1d719901a371807722b1eb544a3af9.jpg

This was historically a very difficult species for me, but I thankfully seem to be getting better at finding them!

But, the crowning achievement at this site was my first ever Ptychodus occidentalis. It's big, though not my biggest ptychodus find, but it's also exquisitely preserved - making this perhaps the best Ptychodus tooth I've ever found.

IMG-2945.thumb.jpg.41b52348d3bc17c81d34a1f5c60737dd.jpg

IMG-2943.thumb.jpg.22b4250a841104feaae2e58affd598cd.jpgIMG-2941.thumb.jpg.ffb5b146e03399206a9fb90ff12306e4.jpgIMG-2940.thumb.jpg.d495259b1bd160b7a80667128a0cac0f.jpgIMG-2944.thumb.jpg.bef27cc43794fc81c4eedfb858b02152.jpg

Not prepped completely yet - there's some sticky sandstone on the root that resists an exacto knife like titanium, but enough has been revealed to show it's grandeur. I feel like  @BobC after he found his Edwards formation Cidarid, where he says:

"On the way home I cleared off the passenger seat so he could be displayed properly to admiring passersby, and placed him there. I could tell every person on the expressway was extremely jealous, and frankly, who could blame them?

I will post my address soon in case anyone wants to send me congratulatory letters, faxes, e-mails or even extravagant presents"

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 26

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Congratulations, Jared!  :D

Be circumspect at that location.  ;)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Jewels from a new site

Stunning finds, Jared! :notworthy:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Congratulations! Those are some sweet teeth!

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Gorgeous Ptychodus occidentalis!

Great preservation and root.

I think I know where you might be at based on the matrix! But, then I could be wrong. The last time I was there, a homeless guy wearing dark shades with a straight knife prominently displayed in his belt stared me down and started following me upstream. At some point, I decided it was time to leave - quickly. He may have just been defending his camp which was upstream in the direction I was headed. I left what might have been a nice Ptychodus in a big boulder in the middle of the stream. Maybe, that's the one you dug out. If not, I may get the courage to go back soon.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Wow, great stuff, Jared C.  It seems some of you Texas guys like to hunt alone but you might consider taking a friend or two with you.  I always thought fossil collecting, especially out in relative wilderness, was like hiking or swimming.  It's a good idea to have someone with you in case of an emergency or even a minor injury.  Even if you don't find anything, you can laugh about it over burgers, pizza, burritos, or whatever later. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

On 8/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, LSCHNELLE said:

Gorgeous Ptychodus occidentalis!

Great preservation and root.

I think I know where you might be at based on the matrix! But, then I could be wrong. The last time I was there, a homeless guy wearing dark shades with a straight knife prominently displayed in his belt stared me down and started following me upstream. At some point, I decided it was time to leave - quickly. He may have just been defending his camp which was upstream in the direction I was headed. I left what might have been a nice Ptychodus in a big boulder in the middle of the stream. Maybe, that's the one you dug out. If not, I may get the courage to go back soon.

I was attempting to explore y’alls side of town and got lucky! There are some much bigger exposures but they were comparatively barren to this little sandstone roof where I found everything- so your potential find is still comfortable there 

I realized when I walked out of that little outcrop that directly above me (maybe 8 feet or so) sat an encampment of maybe 6 tents- I was too absorbed in the geology to notice their tents right above my head! While the spot was well worth it I was gripping my hammer tightly as I walked away

Edited by Jared C
typos

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

The homeless people used to be camping between the railroad tracks and the area to the west, but there have been so many of them lately that they've moved to the east side along the creek. Hunting here has certainly changed in the last year or so.

Edited by LSCHNELLE

Your chapel analogy was very immersive. Thank you for taking us along. That ptychodus is exquisite!

• Thank You 1

Wow! Always exciting to find ptychodus teeth, no matter how many you find! The variety of ptychodus here in this state just always astound me. You’re very brave going out in that heat! I just came back from Iceland and Ive been *dying* indoors even with the AC blasting :Sweating: Good news is I brought much-needed rain back with me to Texas, I cant wait for a good wash this week up here in NE Texas at my favorite sites and for it to significantly cool down. I have fossil fever SO BAD your pictures are making me drool! :drool: 

• Enjoyed 1