Is this a fossil?

Sarabande

That's really pretty and how unusual it's actually butterfly shaped!  I think that might be dendrites but wait for expert opinion.

• I Agree 1

I don't claim expertise at this, but my sense is that the pattern has more to do with the shape of the mineral crystals in the rock and the way the influenced the fracture.

The pattern suggests dendrites but this one looks to have continued to precipitate a lot of crystal growth mostly obscuring the fine dendritic patterns and possibly forming a more thickened 3-D structure.

I've only seen a few of these in person and am by no way an expert in these formations. @ynot

Cheers.

-Ken

23 minutes ago, digit said:

Apparently, often emanating from fracture ridges.

In a river like system, down grade. Not along the ridge. 

Ah, I see your point now--slow at this time of the morning. ;)

The dendrites appear to be emanating from the center of the plate and not from the edges where expected. Possibly, the counterpart to this plate had a crack in the middle from where these dendrites started. Only guessing.

Cheers.

-Ken

@Sarabande 

Can you show images using lower angled lighting that accentuates the surface texture?

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi

I found a rock with a similar motif, I thought the pattern might be biological in nature, like mold or some other organism that got into a fracture in the rock before it split in two

IMG_20220523_075656b.thumb.jpg.955de5931304f01446883fd8b158100f.jpgIMG_20220523_075641b.thumb.jpg.c6000f8da9a1992e88b8d843db581bab.jpg

Edited by Denis Arcand

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

51 minutes ago, Denis Arcand said:

Hi

I found a rock with a similar motif, I thought the pattern might be biological in nature, like mold or some other organism that got into a fracture in the rock before it split in two

IMG_20220523_075656b.thumb.jpg.955de5931304f01446883fd8b158100f.jpgIMG_20220523_075641b.thumb.jpg.c6000f8da9a1992e88b8d843db581bab.jpg

This is a classic example of dendrites:thumbsu:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

On 8/16/2022 at 6:19 PM, JohnJ said:

@Sarabande 

Can you show images using lower angled lighting that accentuates the surface texture?

it would be desirable for Sarabande to give us some feedback on the questions we asked her, especially since the sample looks interesting.

For example, I would suggest providing pictures of the other sides of the sample (in addition to what JohnJ recommended); also, is there any information on the nature of the rock? I'm not even sure if it's volcanic (as I think) or sedimentary.

Come on Sarabande :-)