Muffinsaurus

I found this bizarre (to me at least) rock in a creek in Floyd County, Kentucky. 

The dark area of the rock is very resistant to scratching with metal tools. The lighter part feels and acts like an extra hard sandstone. Recent flooding may have pushed it down stream. No factories. 

I find it interesting how it looks like an old melted clump or rotten fruit turned to stone. Just curious as to what kind of rock this might be so that I can research how it is formed.

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_5476.png

IMG_5477.png

IMG_5478.png

IMG_5479.png

IMG_5480.png

Could you please perform a streak test for the black bits? If the stone is harder than the streak plate then the plate will be scratched and not the mineral. Also a more exact hardness test would be useful.

Edited by Megalodoodle
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, Megalodoodle said:

Could you please perform a streak test for the black bits? If the stone is harder than the streak plate then the plate will be scratched and not the mineral. Also a more exact hardness test would be useful.

Sorry I don't think I can as I don't have any porcelain, let alone any of the unglazed verity. Is there another way to perform a streak test?  Also Sorry for my lack of information. 

8 minutes ago, Megalodoodle said:

Possibly stream-polished botryoidal goethite?IMG_2382.JPG.7c0b0cc59cddf47a399e9476f316948e.JPG

I'll look into this, thank you:D

Unfortunately there is (at least to my knowledge) no other way of doing a streak test. So your average iron/steel tool, such as a knife, is rated 4-4.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. I’d try and see if you can scratch it with a piece of calcite for your scratch test, seeing as how you can scratch it with a knife.

• I found this Informative 1

38 minutes ago, Megalodoodle said:

Unfortunately there is (at least to my knowledge) no other way of doing a streak test. So your average iron/steel tool, such as a knife, is rated 4-4.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. I’d try and see if you can scratch it with a piece of calcite for your scratch test, seeing as how you can scratch it with a knife.

Okay, I think I have some around here somewhere. I'll have to locate it. Thank you for your help. 

4 minutes ago, Muffinsaurus said:

Okay, I think I have some around here somewhere. I'll have to locate it. Thank you for your help. 

No problem! I enjoy encouraging others’ interest in geology!

The underside of your toilet tank  lid is unglazed porcelain. ;)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

15 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

The underside of your toilet tank  lid is unglazed porcelain. ;)

:DOH:I have no idea why I didn't even remotely think of that.

Thanks!

Okay I got to do the test. The dark part leaves a light brown waxy looking mark that I could rub away with relative ease. The lighter part doesn't leave a mark... Well, it kinda dug into the porcelain, but left no color behind. I'm very unsure what I'm looking for, so I hope I provided the correct information for this test.