A Computer Science Graduation Project : Time sensitive - Responses required

Omar01

Hello everyone hope you are all having a great day, 

I'm an Egyptian Computer Science student thinking about making a software project in the field of fossils discovery.

Briefly,  the idea is to use a new discovered fossil (teeth) to make a 3D image of it (like this image here :LINK ), and input the image into the program to classify as Existing,  elaborate what fossil is it like in our manually created dataset (using Prof. Hesham Sallam fossils Lab) or as "?" for fossils that don't exist in our dataset, 

The idea's complexity lies in fossils found might be half a teeth or less, which may be an obstacle classifying it.

My question is:  What do you think of this project? Should the scale be enlarged? And into what?

Do you suggest any additional functionalities? What function could be useful in this field? 

And lastly, are there any advanced projects of software programs in this field done? Kindly attach a link if so. 

I only have today and tomorrow to formalize the information. Please respond if you can.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to A Computer Science Graduation Project : Time sensitive - Responses required

Always a good and modern way. Some people are doing like this.

My opinion is:

- scale is necessary

- 3d from all side, only perfect preserved fossils or parts of them (with all necessary details to identify the species)

- as fine as possible

good luck! Let us know about the project when you are ready

• Enjoyed 1

4 minutes ago, rocket said:

Always a good and modern way. Some people are doing like this.

My opinion is:

- scale is necessary

- 3d from all side, only perfect preserved fossils or parts of them (with all necessary details to identify the species)

- as fine as possible

good luck! Let us know about the project when you are ready

Do you suggest a specific functionality to be implemented? something that would give it an edge? 
TIA 

for me as researcher and collector it is great to turn it in every direction, blow it up to maximum, hmmmm, and what I often miss are detailed infos in the pic about the sediment.

right color is necessary (but, from same site it could be different...) and collection.

1 hour ago, rocket said:

for me as researcher and collector it is great to turn it in every direction, blow it up to maximum, hmmmm, and what I often miss are detailed infos in the pic about the sediment.

right color is necessary (but, from same site it could be different...) and collection.

Could you message me I would like to know more about the collecting and post collecting process in details as it may help me think better
TIA 

1 hour ago, Omar01 said:

I'm not sure how i should use those two websites could you elaborate?

They created 3D fossil databases.  Choose a fossil and study the user functionality.

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Do you plan to do this with all 11,250,000 species?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2022 at 9:56 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Do you plan to do this with all 11,250,000 species?

Indeed not, i will focus a small number of fossils detected a dataset of teeth.