Ceratosaurus tooth?

Fossil Maniac

Hello! I saw this theropod tooth labeled as a ceratosaurus tooth from Albany county wyoming. I know ceratosaurus teeth are very rare so I’m a bit skeptic about this ID. The tooth is 1.06 inches. Thanks for any help.

3EBD398D-B4FF-41EE-BC47-F5F33DA5D206.jpeg

F336DACA-1E76-41AC-8A5D-E705397D3C07.jpeg

E4D5EB36-98B9-4A3D-AC0F-991DB9EF469B.jpeg

Not sure there are enough visible features to properly diagnose it.   The outside carina/serrations are missing and we dont have a good view of the base plus the opposite side.

21 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not sure there are enough visible features to properly diagnose it.   The outside carina/serrations are missing and we dont have a good view of the base plus the opposite side.

So it’s just a theropod tooth for know?

You might want to reach out and ask how it was ID'ed. I bought something from there a while back that I wanted to gain some confidence in the ID and it ended up having a pretty interesting background and support. Seemed like a good guy.

1 minute ago, Dino Dad 81 said:

You might want to reach out and ask how it was ID'ed. I bought something from there a while back that I wanted to gain some confidence in the ID and it ended up having a pretty interesting background and support. Seemed like a good guy.

Do you know his email?

9 hours ago, Fossil Maniac said:

So it’s just a theropod tooth for know?

Oh yes its an indeterminate Theropod tooth.    I've also said many times that it's difficult to definitively ID Jurassic teeth without measurements, they all have similar features and occupy the some of same morphological space.   So photos only go so far at least for me, others not so.   The mesial carina is important in identification and its missing.  The fine distal serrations and the interdenticular sulci point to a Ceratosaurus but those characteristics can also present in other teeth being only one inch.  Just want to provide you the best info based on facts not just a guess.

• I found this Informative 3