Mosasaur bone and teeth block

Georgemckenzie

Hiya everyone I purchased this bone block at auction a little while back as it went quite cheap any help would be great 

05807582-0934-4F5E-A79D-F2AD74B085C7.jpeg

B96C5234-C5A0-4330-91D7-B08A9B1F162F.jpeg

3A15A7B2-0D8F-425F-811A-B7F8D984ACAA.jpeg

0747C116-162A-4A13-AEB9-7AB31729453C.jpeg

92801006-DB58-43CF-BFC6-46D9EE53F622.jpeg

5EADB9A9-3C86-42A2-BDCC-F31E01E5515C.jpeg

EBDA3D6C-4B9E-4DC9-92E7-D0C957FAEE7C.jpeg

390257DD-2028-49F2-B402-4782A7FAB576.jpeg

EB9FAA7F-96F1-42DC-BFA3-CCCC283797F0.jpeg

2D741647-E2EA-4FA6-ADA8-3F5D21AD945E.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Nice!!

Is it in danger falling apart along that crack? If yes, you may try to stabilize it from the back side with some super glue or a related, more professional product.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

Nice!!

Is it in danger falling apart along that crack? If yes, you may try to stabilize it from the back side with some super glue or a related, more professional product.

Franz Bernhard

Stabilised it with some superglue, gonna mix some glue with some of the matrix and fill in the gaps.

1 minute ago, Georgemckenzie said:

Stabilised it with some superglue

Ok, its already save than :dinothumb:!

Just now, Georgemckenzie said:

gonna mix some glue with some of the matrix and fill in the gaps.

That´s a matter of taste ;).

Franz Bernhard

Just now, FranzBernhard said:

Ok, its already save than :dinothumb:!

That´s a matter of taste ;).

Franz Bernhard

Yeah thinking it’s a bit of a Frankenstein piece though, took a risk at auction as there was only 1 pic wasn’t to expensive 

Just now, Georgemckenzie said:

Yeah thinking it’s a bit of a Frankenstein piece though

I don´t know, seems a little bit jumbled for Frankenstein, but hey, its the nicest Frankenstein I have seen for a long time. Money well spent!

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

I don´t know, seems a little bit jumbled for Frankenstein, but hey, its the nicest Frankenstein I have seen for a long time. Money well spent!

Franz Bernhard

I’m not a mosasaur expert by far but I suspect the teeth maybe ain’t original to the root not 100pc though for [price removed] I thought it was worth the risk, just hoping someone with more knowledge can help a little 

7 minutes ago, Georgemckenzie said:

£..... I thought it was worth the risk, just hoping someone with more knowledge can help a little 

That was really a bargain! Yes, knowledgeable members will comment soon :dinothumb:.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

1 minute ago, Praefectus said:

It is real. Moroccan Prognathodon ("Thalassotitan atrox").

Thanks for the reply, any idea what’s real bones or roots or if any is a composite?

It's all real. I'm not seeing any composition or other funny business. The color is a bit off, but I think that is because they sealed it with too much glue. 

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Praefectus said:

It's all real. I'm not seeing any composition or other funny business. The color is a bit off, but I think that is because they sealed it with too much glue. 

Thanks I did post it to Reddit but took the post down as all I could get was oofs and people saying the roots are all fake and it’s a composite. Worth the risk purchasing now I guess 

I agree that some of these straight edges on the bones look a bit weird, but I think these are all still natural peri-mortem fractures for their clean breaks/edges that run perpendicular to the length of what would've been jaw bone... I also don't see any evidence of discoloured or lose sand around them.  Thus, I don't see any red flags either. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

28 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I agree that some of these straight edges on the bones look a bit weird, but I think these are all still natural peri-mortem fractures for their clean breaks/edges that run perpendicular to the length of what would've been jaw bone... I also don't see any evidence of discoloured or lose sand around them.  Thus, I don't see any red flags either. 

Cheers would it be alright to assume the roots are real as well then?

27 minutes ago, Georgemckenzie said:

Cheers would it be alright to assume the roots are real as well then?

Definitely. You can clearly make out the typical longitudinal bone fibres and the beautifully carinated necks :)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett