Possible Ammonite found in Tulsa, OK area

Bobo Greybeard

I found this last week in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area at one of the larger county parks.  Anyway, am I the only one who thinks this might be a small ammonite in this piece of sandstone?  You can see one of my fingers in the background to give you a size reference.

If this is an ammonite, how would you suggest I remove it from the sandstone matrix.  The whole rock is around the size of a softball.

Thank you for all for any advice or comments given.

Stay safe,

Bobo

IMG_20220825_184314418.jpg

The photo is a bit blurry, but it looks more like a gastropod IMO

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

It looks more like a gastropod (snail) to me.  It is probably an internal mold and looks like it would be difficult if not impossible to remove but I am not familiar with your particular sediments.  But I'd have to see better pictures to know for certain if it could be prepped in some way.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Depending on the preservation, the methods outlined in this thread may work to remove it from the matrix. Better photos would be needed to see if this is possible.

• Thank You 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

The top one (red) looks to be gastropod. But is that a faint outline of an ammonite (blue) below it? But better pictures are needed, focused and well lit.

E4F61399-C22A-4475-B624-327678519E4C.jpeg

3 hours ago, Randyw said:

The top one (red) looks to be gastropod. But is that a faint outline of an ammonite (blue) below it? But better pictures are needed, focused and well lit.

E4F61399-C22A-4475-B624-327678519E4C.jpeg

Great eyes.  I also found possibly two more ammonites on this stone.

I use to be a formerly trained professional photographer.  I have shot everything from fashion/modeling to investigative, to newspaper photography and about everything in-between.  My Mother and late Grandfather would joke around and say I was born with a camera in my hand.  That said, tomorrow I will break out the DSLR's and tripods to take some good pics of this stone.   

Thank you for spotting that before I took a chisel to it.  LoL

Stay safe,

Bobo