Fossils along the Notikewin River in Northern Alberta

JustPlainPetrified

Has anyone in this group even been up this far north in Alberta? I have an idea of location and will report back after my journey.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, we started today driving north from Stony Plain to a spot 1/2 hour north of Valleyview on the Little Smoky. Many Baculites pieces found laying in the fractured shale along the rivers edge. Each new rain or flood exposes and/or washes away many baculites pieces.  Tomorrow we head to the Notikewin River northeast of Manning, Alberta 

20220919_134726.jpg

20220919_141745.jpg

20220919_141752.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

• 3 weeks later...

The trip was a resounding success. Weather was perfect. Will show more fossils once I've worked on them a bit. 

16653368051511596608921620721633.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've spend a bit of time bringing out the best in a couple pieces. Scaphites & Inoceramus.

20221017_150119.jpg

20221018_141023.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 11

Nice fossils, and from a location very few of us will ever get to see in person. :wub: Do you happen to know the species of Scaphites and Baculites?

Don

Beautiful ammonites!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

22 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Nice fossils, and from a location very few of us will ever get to see in person. :wub: Do you happen to know the species of Scaphites and Baculites?

Don

Scaphites depresses, but I'd have to have a better specimen to determine baculites species. Ridges are not as defined as I'd hoped.