There are so many brachiopods that look alike, it's hard to identify them. Is this Dalmanella sp ?

I found it in the Nicolet River formation (Late Ordovician)

each one is 1/2 inch 

DSC00000c.thumb.jpg.b81060400622af66d485533e3ec926cd.jpg

Edited by Denis Arcand
  • Enjoyed 6

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

I have similar specimens from the Nicolet River I have ID'd as Onniella meeki as per an old website on the Nicolet River Formation. I have similar other specimens from other places and formations that are labeled as Dalmenella. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

I have similar specimens from the Nicolet River I have ID'd as Onniella meeki as per an old website on the Nicolet River Formation. I have similar other specimens from other places and formations that are labeled as Dalmenella. 

Dalmanella was an old 'bucket taxon' for many brachiopods from what is now an entire suborder of orthids. 

Later this species was reclassified as Onniella meeki.

More recently the species has been reassigned and is now Cincinnetina meeki. 

Nice piece:brachiopod:.:b_love1:

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks @Tidgy's Dad,  that's very helpful,

With the different name you gave me, I was able to find more information and images on the web.

I also found this paleontology article, it's not recent but it's interesting. (You've probably read it already :P)

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2011.01113.x

This might also be of interest to @Jeffrey P

• Thank You 1

One last thing @Tidgy's Dad, is this something I can try to add to the TFF collection, the collection is pretty much empty as far as the Ordovician brachiopod is concerned

19 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks @Jeffrey P, I looked at your image gallery, and you have some really nice fossils, some I'm still looking to find in the Nicolet Formation

On 8/31/2022 at 11:09 PM, Denis Arcand said:

One last thing @Tidgy's Dad, is this something I can try to add to the TFF collection, the collection is pretty much empty as far as the Ordovician brachiopod is concerned

Yes, I have that paper. 

Regarding Collections, I agree that brachiopods are underrepresented, I should add some of my own when I get a spare moment. I don't know the criteria, whether hash plates are okay or only single specimens. 

Let's ask a couple of the Collections Curators @TqB or @oilshale

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

23 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, I have that paper. 

Regarding Collections, I agree that brachiopods are underrepresented, I should add some of my own when I get a spare moment. I don't know the criteria, whether hash plates are okay or only single specimens. 

Let's ask a couple of the Collections Curators @TqB or @oilshale

I think as long as there are just a few brachiopods together, and they are identifiable/have identifying characteristics, that should be fine. Just need to make sure the images are excellent quality, and well lit.  ;)

Something like this is fine -

DSC00000c.jpg.15db0d7d13240d5b8a0df94a1f48ca3b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 2
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

For Collections you will need good photos of single specimens, or maybe a couple if you are absolutely certain they are the same species.  If they are on a "hash plate" they should be zoomed in or cropped so it is abundantly clear what specimen/specimens is/are the focus of the post.  Collections is meant to be a reference collection to aid people in IDing their fossils, so a jumble of fossils on a plate will be confusing.

Don

• Thank You 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

I think as long as there are just a few brachiopods together, and they are identifiable/have identifying characteristics, that should be fine. Just need to make sure the images are excellent quality, and well lit.  ;)

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

For Collections you will need good photos of single specimens, or maybe a couple if you are absolutely certain they are the same species.  If they are on a "hash plate" they should be zoomed in or cropped so it is abundantly clear what specimen/specimens is/are the focus of the post.  Collections is meant to be a reference collection to aid people in IDing their fossils, so a jumble of fossils on a plate will be confusing.

Thank you very much for your comments, I will surely try to add material to the TTF collection, although I may need additional help ;)

3 minutes ago, Denis Arcand said:

Thank you very much for your comments, I will surely try to add material to the TTF collection, although I may need additional help ;)

That's what the Collections Curators are there for.  ;)

They are happy to try to help you out with your entries.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

These would be very nice additions to collections! Sometimes I have the feeling that many members think that Collections is only for "especially good or rare" fossils.
Absolutely not, Collections is supposed to give a broad overview, which can be used to identify fossils. You are absolutely right that brachiopods (and some other groups too) are clearly underrepresented. It would be desirable if more members would post typical, common fossils, so that we can show as wide a range as possible in Collections.

• I Agree 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

On 8/31/2022 at 8:39 AM, Tidgy&#x27;s Dad said:

Dalmanella was an old 'bucket taxon' for many brachiopods from what is now an entire suborder of orthids. 

Looks like I'll have to change a few labels. Thanks. 

• Thank You 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:39 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hi Adam,

I have a couple (what I previously ID'd as) Dalmanella testudinaria from Brechin and a few on a plate from the Trenton Group near Lake Champlain. They all look similar to Cincinnetina meeki. Should I change them or leave them as is. Thanks and best wishes.

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Hi Adam,

I have a couple (what I previously ID'd as) Dalmanella testudinaria from Brechin and a few on a plate from the Trenton Group near Lake Champlain. They all look similar to Cincinnetina meeki. Should I change them or leave them as is. Thanks and best wishes.

Hi, Jeff.:fistbump:

Dalamnella testudinaria is still valid, recently affirmed by Jin and Zhan, 2008. 

Dalmanella has been greatly reduced in its number of included species, but there are still several others. D. testudinaria is the type species and was originally Orthis testudinaria DALMAN, 1828.  

I have D. testudinaria from the Late Ordovician of Northern England. :)

Dalmanella1.thumb.jpg.b3d1b0ababf42a2b2d4b6c5a9c7b4fd8.jpg

Dalmanella.thumb.jpg.174953a8d358cf6dd9fb0d40a1109586.jpg

Edited by Tidgy's Dad

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.