Cleaning of Fossil Shells

GreatHoatzin

I have had this hunk of rock from Manitoulin Island for quite some time now, but I have never attempted to really clean it before. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the fossils, but leaving them in the rock? I would just like to be able to analyze them more closely. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

fossil 3.jpg

fossil 2.jpg

fossil 1.jpg

I think the only possibilities here are with a micro sandblaster or chemical preparation (but I won’t recommend the last if you don’t have experience with this kind of preparation)

• I Agree 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the info!

I'm pretty new to this so I'll have to look into getting some equipment.

I saw another post that recommended using LimeAway and/or other cleaners to eat at the surrounding rock, but leave the fossils undamaged. Would this be a sufficient method? (If this is a limestone-based composition)?

There's a process to acid prepping that has to be strictly adhered to in order to keep from damaging the specimens. Lime Away is an acid based cleaner with unknown other substances. You're better off using 5% acetic acid. If the fossils are calcitic, you'll dissolve them as well during the process. I would not recommend acid prep for a novice preparator. Prep equipment requires a significant investment that is not tenable unless you plan to prep regularly. Even a basic setup can easily cost $1k. There are a lot of threads related to prep setup on the forum. 

• I found this Informative 1

50 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

There's a process to acid prepping that has to be strictly adhered to in order to keep from damaging the specimens. Lime Away is an acid based cleaner with unknown other substances. You're better off using 5% acetic acid. If the fossils are calcitic, you'll dissolve them as well during the process. I would not recommend acid prep for a novice preparator. Prep equipment requires a significant investment that is not tenable unless you plan to prep regularly. Even a basic setup can easily cost $1k.

Okay, thanks. I think I'll hold off on cleaning for a while until I can get things together.

3 hours ago, GreatHoatzin said:

Okay, thanks. I think I'll hold off on cleaning for a while until I can get things together.

If the matrix on top of the fossils is soft, you can try scrubbing with a toothbrush and a gentle rinse with water.

56 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If the matrix on top of the fossils is soft, you can try scrubbing with a toothbrush and a gentle rinse with water.

I will try this, thank you!

Maybe place a little vinegar on one of the obscure brachiopods and seen if it improves its appearance. If so, I  would try a SHORT soak in a vinegar bath and a LONG bath in water afterwards. It works well for my hash plates in Minnesota and costs less than $1000!!! 

Mike