Mosasaur predation marks

hadrosauridae

Today I was cleaning the baculites found on the last fossil trip, and found one VERY cool one.  This segment looks to have clear and deep tooth holes in it.  It is believed that mosasaurs fed on baculites, and the hole sizes would certainly agree with that.

2069044415_mosybite.thumb.jpg.e63ec9f00df1a335615c48f35959ad18.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I'm skeptical.  Was this an old mosasaur, missing some teeth, and unable to crunch through this size baculites?  :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

hmmm - think you can get a photo with flash of the bottom of the pits? 

Texas A&M barely has fossil collections worth mentioning - but on display is an ammonite with rather convincing mosasaur bite marks on it, so it is possible. But - I agree with John that this would be an unusual bite with only two tooth holes on the entire vertical. 

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

7 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

This segment looks to have clear and deep tooth holes in it.  It is believed that mosasaurs fed on baculites, and the hole sizes would certainly agree with that.

Your fossil is a steinkern of an ammonite. The two holes are in the infilling sediment, not the original shell. Why would a mosasaur bite a mud filled Baculites shell?

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2