Schlieffhausen, Schaffhausen Or Schlaifhausen

Plantguy

Here's an easy one..

In my never ending pursuit of trying to label my fossils accurately I've got these small Dactylioceras specimens from Germany. Many of us have probably seen a large slab of these guys. Maybe a member even has a large plate. Anyways, My question....Where are these ammonites from? I have a label that says Dactylioceras commune from Schlieffhausen (near Nuremberg) Germany. Lower Toarcian, Lower Jurassic.

post-1240-12716018692758_thumb.jpg

My silly issue and its not supposed to be really funny, although as I write this it does seem rather pathetic, but I cant find any reference to Schlieffhausen...does that place actually exist? I have seen an ammonite fossil reference to Schlaifhausen as well as Schaffhausen. I also have a note that this might not be commune but rather athleticum.

Maybe this should be posted in the ID section but since my question is more about the correct location I'll leave it here...And no, I've not been drinking...there is no football on and its way too early! Regards, Chris

Thanks guys! D. athleticum from Schlaifhausen it is! Appreciate the help.

Now once my uncooperative, self-proclaimed, HP all-in-one, oh your so special printer stops messing with me and actually puts a speck of ink on some paper without the clicking and shaking and other false moves we'll have spanking new ID labels! Oh, what I'd give to have back my little screeching, ear-piercing, parallel IBM propinter or heaven forbid, my old typebar typewriter to get this job done! Technology! Then there is the simple solution...how about using just pen/paper...UGGH! That's too easy! Awe, I get sidetracked so easily. :lol:

Thanks again gentlemen!

Regards, Chris

• 1 month later...

Hello Plantguy,

you`ve already got the right answer: Dactylioceras athleticum from Schlaifhausen near Nürnberg / Germany.

Only a week ago I was there for (fossil-)vacation. In spring you cannot go on the fields where the ammonites can be found, but in the region their exist further good hunting locations, so we used Schlaifhausen as our starting point for other excursions.

I attach you three pictures of the year 2003 - one of the location at the foot of the little mountain (called Walberla) and to of isolated pieces of Dactylioceras in finding condition. I only needed to wash them, no prepwork necessary.

A little bit of history: 30-40 years ago the fields got exploited by collectors and also merchants.

At that time the farmer took really high prices calculated per centiare. Most of the optimal nature-prepped ammonite bed (in Germany we call it "Ammonitenfriedhof" = ammonite cemetery) is cropped out, but if you visit the fields after harvesttime ... you can still find little pieces escpecially after plowing.

Best regards

Sönke

post-1873-127448050624_thumb.jpg

post-1873-12744805153089_thumb.jpg

post-1873-12744805274148_thumb.jpg

http://www.Der-Steinkern.de - the german fossil magazine.

Sönke, thanks for the additional photos! I do appreciate all the local back ground info about that amazing locality! Great stuff. Regards, Chris