9-30-22 Mazon Creek ID

ChicagoX

Extremely 3D as far as Mazon Creek material goes, if it is MC material. Not the typical concretion/nodule preservation normally encountered there. I'm getting a man-made vibe from this piece. Try a magnet and let us know if it is attracted. I suspect it's a rusted fragment of mining equipment. Of course, I may be totally wrong. Just saying it's not what's typically found in the area.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

That was my first assumption. Tried a super strong earth magnet and no attraction at all. I was stumped also, that’s why I’m asking here.  It seems to be made of the same concretion material.

The only thing I can think of that vaguely would resemble this piece is a worn Calamites stem fragment. Those are occasionally found as 3D specimens. Its definitely interesting. 

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

23 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The only thing I can think of that vaguely would resemble this piece is a worn Calamites stem fragment. Those are occasionally found as 3D specimens. Its definitely interesting. 

Mark, I would say you’re right.  Saw this one posted in the ID forum.  Pretty right on with the line down the middle.  So cool, thanks!

0DB3029A-F800-4767-99F3-DA71FEC5ED4B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Good find. I haven't seen that one, and I thought I had been just about everywhere on this forum. Yup, I'd say that's "dead on".

Any other fossils you have we would be glad to see. In my case the Mazon Creek material especially.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
add to post

Mark.