Recently got back from a trip on Holden Beach, and just WOW. Words can't describe the uniqueness of being able to find Mosasaur teeth next to Megalodon teeth. The recent Hurricane brought in many new fossils and I had quite good luck. Here are some photos of the trip, I will post a picture showing all of my best finds shortly, but for now enjoy! 

First, here are some of the Squalicorax pristodontus teeth I collected. These were relatively common.

20221017_130943.jpg

20221017_131505.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Here's some more Cretaceous aged fossils, these are fish teeth and I've seen them attributed to Enchodus.

20221017_125751.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Here's some jaw fragments I also believe are from Enchodus

20221017_131830.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

I also found several Cretolamna teeth, here are a few of them.

20221017_125702.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

1 minute ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

I also found several Cretolamna teeth, here are a few of them.

Three of these are Serratolamna teeth.

• Thank You 1

Just now, Al Dente said:

Three of these are Serratolamna teeth.

Oh thanks! Which three? How do you tell the difference?

Here's some of my favorite finds, these are Pycnodont jaws! 

20221017_125436.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

And finally some Sawfish rostral teeth.

20221017_125806.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

19 hours ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

Here's some of my favorite finds, these are Pycnodont jaws! 

Those are the best I’ve seen from NC. They are Anomoedus phaseolus.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

Oh thanks! Which three? How do you tell the difference?

The left three are Serratolamna serrata. Most tooth positions from S. serrata are asymmetrical. Some teeth have more side cusps on one side than the other. Usually the root on one side is shaped differently than the other side. The exemption is the lower anterior teeth which are fairly symmetrical.

• I found this Informative 3

Now it's time to get into my Mosasaur teeth! There are no species described from North Carolina, and at first I thought I was only finding one species, but with help from Prae, there is some diversity. Here's an overview of all of the teeth I found, and I can provide closeups of any of them, so if you're familiar with Mosasaurs please help me identify them! 

20221022_154204.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

20221022_154212.jpg

20221022_154214.jpg

20221022_154210.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

9 minutes ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

There are no species described from North Carolina, and at first I thought I was only finding one species

Several species have been known to exist in the Carolinas for a long time. They just haven't made it into the scientific literature yet. 

11 minutes ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

Here's an overview of all of the teeth I found, and I can provide closeups of any of them, so if you're familiar with Mosasaurs please help me identify them! 

Sorry I never got back to you. Classwork keeping me busy. :DOH:

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Several species have been known to exist in the Carolinas for a long time. They just haven't made it into the scientific literature yet. 

Sorry I never got back to you. Classwork keeping me busy. :DOH:

It's all good! 

Here's some close ups of my two favorite teeth. 

20221017_125209.jpg

20221017_125158.jpg

20221017_124637.jpg

20221017_124641.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Congratulations on a very successful trip! How many days did you collect there? I stopped by before the hurricane on my drive back to the Northeast from Texas and I was really disappointed. I walked a large stretch of the beach and found 5 echinoids and a batoid vertebra. 

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

18 minutes ago, historianmichael said:

Congratulations on a very successful trip! How many days did you collect there? I stopped by before the hurricane on my drive back to the Northeast from Texas and I was really disappointed. I walked a large stretch of the beach and found 5 echinoids and a batoid vertebra. 

I was there from Sunday until Friday. Hunting was amazing Sunday until Wednesday and I barely found anything the rest of the week. 

• Thank You 1

Here's a vertebra I found, is it Mosasaur?

20221017_131600.jpg

20221017_131557.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

And to close out my Cretaceous fossils, here's my Hardouinia and Exogyra. 

20221022_174105.jpg

20221022_174111.jpg

20221022_174119.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Moving towards the Eocene, I found a few Otodus obliquus teeth, though I'm not sure which are Otodus and which are Cretaceous aged Mackerel sharks. The Eocene material was much rarer than Cretaceous or Pliocene, and it was an amazing surprise to find a Basilosaurus tooth! This was probably the rarest find of the whole trip.

20221017_130528.jpg

20221017_130533.jpg

20221017_130536.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Finally, here is one with all of my favorite finds, provides a good overview of the variety. 

20221022_153653.jpg

• Enjoyed 9