Bone Valley Oddity

Shellseeker

I was out today hunting with friends. Little shark teeth,  a couple of small Megs,  a couple of barracuda teeth and then this... I have never seen anything like it, close on 15 years hunting these locales.  I can hope other have.  It seems to be enamel.  Can it be a tooth ?, a tilly bone, ... a fragment of tusk... Speculations absolutely encouraged !!!!

IMG_7718cropE.thumb.jpg.4880a378412d7ace4d0066bcfa4c122d.jpgIMG_7723vert.thumb.jpg.79c22822bacf77ee304df7099ddd5bcb.jpgIMG_7724cropE.thumb.jpg.4b9459c4d08c63e2b2aff0ad9e83663e.jpgIMG_7725text.thumb.jpg.570efd80f78600373d0aeb0898c1989f.jpgIMG_7729cropE.thumb.jpg.2206c12d0be98113c1f93814eca463be.jpg

In this last photo,  I find those "bumps" around 15 mm interesting. The outside texture on both sides reminds me of whale or maybe gomph.  What is this ?

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That is odd.  My guess is that this is a pygmy sperm whale tooth that was scavenged by a tiger shark which was subsequently attacked and eaten by a much larger C. megalodon.  The megalodon digested and excreted the remains of the tiger shark.  The megalodon excreta was then eaten by a coprophagous bottom-dweller.  That means the tooth went through THREE digestive systems, corroding the enamel and dentine along the way.  Yeah!  No kidding!  :rolleyes: 

• Enjoyed 7

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

:oO:

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

7 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

That is odd.  My guess is that this is a pygmy sperm whale tooth that was scavenged by a tiger shark which was subsequently attacked and eaten by a much larger C. megalodon.  The megalodon digested and excreted the remains of the tiger shark.  The megalodon excreta was then eaten by a coprophagous bottom-dweller.  That means the tooth went through THREE digestive systems, corroding the enamel and dentine along the way.  Yeah!  No kidding!  :rolleyes: 

So my first thought was also whale tooth, unironically 

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

11 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Well, thank you Harry.. Many enjoyed your evaluation and it brought a big, BIG smile to my face this morning.  You have a way with words. I can only wish you a Happy holidays. I also note that your prepared offerings have brought significant joy to Forum members as Christmas presents to themselves or others. Thanks for all you do spreading joy in these times of stress.

So, pathological pygmy sperm whale tooth.  I wonder what @Boesse thinks.

This morning I have been considering whether I have any fossils that exhibit a similar characteristic that reminds me of whale... 7 years ago,  I found this fossil in the same creek.  We never managed to identify it, but note that interesting crosshatching on the outside dentine layer and those curious bumps up by the tip.

post-2220-0-whaleToothText(1).jpg.3a69ad20ff98503faa8478b8b7e33938.jpg

More recently, about 2 years ago, in the same creek,  I found this tooth.... Once again never identifying it.

WhaleMerge.jpg.2f0757e91a56844c9503b784a91b3e0b.jpgWhaleRoot.JPG.397c3fd4a9fda653f06b09d7ee71ff45.JPG

Some similarity between this last photo and the 3rd one posted originally.

Harry,  I am going to keep an open mind on this one .  Some fossils are just not identifiable. Jack

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Jack, I have no clue and Harry did make me chuckle.  I’m so glad things are getting back so some normalcy if you got to go out looking for new fossils 

On 11/25/2022 at 8:32 PM, Harry Pristis said:

Ha! I've heard so many such assessments here presented as truth I almost missed this as a joke!

Edited by Carl