Mandarin

Hello all, I just found these two things on a beach of the Baltic Sea in Latvia. The bigger one could fool me because the black part is very much like wood, however the bottom part (the gum?) has an interesting texture. Also, I don’t know how to describe it but the bottom part feels almost sort of fresh, like it’s not very old…. While it’s hard and solid it still looks wet unlike other fossils I have held. Sounds silly but maybe it helps identifying it.

Although the smaller one is very similar, I almost have no doubt that it’s a tooth or claw. From what I could find on the internet, my best guess would be sperm whale tooth? Please tell me what you think. Thanks!

CBAB0932-9049-43C2-9218-CEB5858B57FD.jpeg

3611A9E0-B55A-4D0D-96D6-46087C1F7A5D.jpeg

1D5D78A3-B61A-4007-A3B0-139FE68B88F2.jpeg

6B2AF278-55DE-4775-8192-17AE814E2A9A.jpeg

15E6F780-BEF9-4C62-88CC-04D644BE722F.jpeg

33D25081-AF86-4B8B-9F62-B476A24637DE.jpeg

Peculiar wood if that's what it is, almost looks wrapped in sea weed, I don't think the smaller one is a tooth, it has no enamel and appears to have similar banding as large one. Someone will have better perspective and ID hopefully.

• I Agree 1

Just appears to be driftwood. The banded texture occurs every now and then.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

These are almost certainly conifer branch bases. Within the tree, the wood grain of the trunk wraps around the hidden part of the branches in just this way. When they weather as driftwood, they produce these forms.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, Mandarin said:

Thank you everyone. It’s quite embarrassing that these are just drift wood lol. 

Don't be embarrassed. No one is born knowing any of this.

• I Agree 1