Would like ID on possible petrified bark/wood

Breesha03

Hello all!  I found this in a creek in Stark County, Illinois over the summer.  I’ve been hunting fossils all my life and I’ve never seen anything like this.  At first I thought it was a piece of pottery, but it’s more wood-like.  Kinda.  I mean, I’m stumped.  Any thoughts would be appreciated! (Roku remote for scale…ha)

42CB125A-87EB-4084-9A29-77F8665CF0C7.jpeg

68FE9CB2-9D40-47B3-A131-FDEFB1B4FBC4.jpeg

4517B344-60D2-4DB7-A597-F3B67C19976A.jpeg

B8FDFA62-F819-407F-B695-3B81DFC9C672.jpeg

Thanks, Rockwood!  There is definitely a lot of it in that creek; I just didn’t really suspect it because it looks so incredibly different than any other ironstone I’ve seen.

20 minutes ago, Breesha03 said:

Thanks, Rockwood!  There is definitely a lot of it in that creek; I just didn’t really suspect it because it looks so incredibly different than any other ironstone I’ve seen.

Try looking into the search term bog iron. That might help explain this.

Hmmm.  The object does resemble wood in a macro sense, but I don't detect any wood grain.  The surface seems to be covered with a thin crust.  See if that crust will come off mechanically (wire brush) or with a soak in white vinegar.  These Florida specimens show the wood grain I'm talking about:

181241747_twigsX18C.JPG.53f4bbae9e05da48e75fdb44f8d088dd.JPGtwigs_31_A.JPG.524b8df6541aa7575e61018a8e604725.JPGtwigs_15_C.JPG.1295d1f1f3406a7385bb78a41bd9ac1c.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hi, Harry!  I indeed cleaned the item after I brought it home; it’s as good as it’s going to get.  It really has no debris of any sort on it.  

Where the black surface is abraded, the material is tan.  I was hoping you could remove some of the black surface coating to expose grain (if any).  If it were my specimen, I would air abrade the piece; but, I don't expect you to have a micro-blaster.  The vinegar might work to oxidize the coating if it is iron-based goethite.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Ah yes, I see what you’re getting at.  I did use vinegar to initially clean it; nothing came off.  Though, if the stone is scratched, that’s where the orange shows through, which does lend to the ironstone theory.