Joseph Fossil

I've visited the Pennsylvanian Bond formation in Oglesby Illinois a few times but have only found a few cladodont teeth so far! I find a decent bit of teeth from crusher plate chondrichyans like Deltodus, but I've also heard there have been some large cladodont teeth found in the area. I'm just curious what is the largest cladodont teeth found in Oglesby Illinois?

I can only speak for my collection which represents a tiny window into the La Salle Limestone and associated strata material that has been collected. In particular, ESCONI and other groups collected from the quarries in the area for decades before they were closed down.

My largest cladodont tooth from the area is a partial Glikmanius that I believe would have been about 2.25 cm wide if complete. 

• Enjoyed 1

On 12/18/2022 at 12:39 PM, deutscheben said:

I can only speak for my collection which represents a tiny window into the La Salle Limestone and associated strata material that has been collected. In particular, ESCONI and other groups collected from the quarries in the area for decades before they were closed down.

My largest cladodont tooth from the area is a partial Glikmanius that I believe would have been about 2.25 cm wide if complete. 

@deutscheben Thanks dude!!! Of these quarries they collected from, do you know if any of them are not filled over and/or are still open?

None are open to collecting. The primary former quarry site was bought by the state a few years back and proposals have been made to turn at least a portion of the property into a fossil park where collecting would be allowed. In the interim, it is off limits to the public, though. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/20/2022 at 11:05 PM, deutscheben said:

None are open to collecting. The primary former quarry site was bought by the state a few years back and proposals have been made to turn at least a portion of the property into a fossil park where collecting would be allowed. In the interim, it is off limits to the public, though. 

@deutscheben Thanks dude! I think I know what site you're talking about, the lone star quarry! The whole site and how it's being turned into a fossil hunting park has both excited and confused (based on my knowledge, people have been trying to get a fossil park created in the area for years via state legislation, but they haven't been successful until now)!

On 12/18/2022 at 12:39 PM, deutscheben said:

@deutscheben Also, besides Gilkmanius specimens, what other Ctenacanthiform species are represented in the LaSalle Limestone that you've found or know of (heard Heslerodus specimens were found in the LaSalle Limestone not too long ago, but not 100% sure)?

I don't think the chondrichthyan of the Bond have been reviewed in a very long time. I would not be surprised to see a variety of "cladodont" taxa, including hybodonts, symmoriaforms, Thrinacodus, etc. represented in the fauna. Happy to pull some drawers and give it a look-see in January if everyone is interested.

• I found this Informative 1