Best places in Germany to fossil hunt?

Nat006

For the Germans out there: what is an area in Germany that is particularly suitable for finding fossils? Or that you were lucky in finding fossils?

I'm new to this so I don't really know how to search for the rocks in the area or what type of rocks are suitable for finding fossils.

I live in Darmstadt, Hessen and would like to take a trip to a place in Germany to search for fossils this winter. 

Also, if someone knows this additional information too, where can I search for nice pieces of minerals in Germany? 

Thank you!

I would recommend that you click on the steinkern link below in my signature. Just click on "Fundorte" at the left under the Hauptmenü and you'll find lots of information there.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Germany is full of places to find good fossils, but many of them are restricted.

When you live in Darmstadt, try to go to Messel pit in Summer with HLMD (they always love to get participaters for the summer digging), otherwise it depends how far you would go to dig. Schwäbische Alb is fantastic (many places), the region around Nürnberg and Würzburg full of fossils, Pfalz has many but hard to find... Good it to go to Eifel region (Hillesheimer Mulde, Gerolstein etc.), go on the fields.

The link to Steinkern is good, many german diggers are there and lot of infos

good luck