Strange Florida Beach Find--Need I.D.

Bronzviking

These are 2 unusual beach finds found on different visits at the same Tampa Bay beach, Florida. Approx. sizes 1 1/2-1 3/4 x 3/8 inch and about 1/16 inch thick. They look like brown wood grain with fine grooves on one side and shiny enamel-like on the flip side. They are slightly curved. Initially I thought it was a stingray barb but it has no barbs. Than I thought a seashell fragment but it doesn't resemble any seashell I'm familiar with. So what are they?

Mystery 4.jpg

Mystery 5.jpg

Mystery 3.jpg

Mystery 1.jpg

Mystery 2.jpg

Mystery 7.jpg

Mystery 6.jpg

Edited by Bronzviking

• Bronzviking changed the title to Strange Florida Beach Find--Need I.D.

Couple of your photos aren't loading - but the base of sting ray barbs have the characteristic shape minus the barbs - I'm willing to bet that's what these are.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

5 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

Agree with first two photos....possibly very water worn stingray barb. The other piece is probably an oyster fragment. That smooth grey surface it typically indicative of oyster.

Didn't see those photos originally - but yeah that second one definitely looks like a shell fragment.

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

2 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

Agree with first two photos....possibly very water worn stingray barb. The other piece is probably an oyster fragment. That smooth grey surface it typically indicative of oyster.

Thanks. The second and third photo is the back of the longest of the two pieces. That's what's throwing me off on an ID.