ID help, please and thank you!

Amarykah

This piece does not to appear to be of biological origin, ie it's not a fossil. You can rule out this being a tooth due to the lack of a uniform enamel texture. Nonetheless, this is a really fascinating mineral specimen. This is not my area of expertise, but it looks like you have some sort of (perhaps ferrous) coating over a bit of what I'm going to guess is a stratified piece of some sort of claystone? Really cool and unexpected for Florida. Hopefully someone else will be able to give a better rundown of what exactly you've got and how it formed.

26B2365E-C2A3-4793-8E5B-68584EA0756E.png.746d948d15a718f5153ab32b60a87ff9.png 8FC20729-9038-47AC-82BA-A7FECC35384D.png.659f2af2a4de08ccc258f7609cf5efeb.png
“The worse the country, the more tortured it is by water and wind, the more broken and carved, the more it attracts fossil hunters, who depend on the planet to open itself to us. We can only scratch away at what natural forced have brought to the surface.”
- Jack Horner

2 minutes ago, Opabinia Blues said:

This piece does not to appear to be of biological origin, ie it's not a fossil. You can rule out this being a tooth due to the lack of a uniform enamel texture. Nonetheless, this is a really fascinating mineral specimen. This is not my area of expertise, but it looks like you have some sort of (perhaps ferrous) coating over a bit of what I'm going to guess is a stratified piece of some sort of claystone? Really cool and unexpected for Florida. Hopefully someone else will be able to give a better rundown of what exactly you've got and how it formed.

You can see the wavy enamel patterns of wooly mammoth teeth in this piece.

The teeth of mammoth aren't uniform, they have bands of enamel, this is definitely a fragment of tooth

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Misha said:

You can see the wavy enamel patterns of wooly mammoth teeth in this piece.

The teeth of mammoth aren't uniform, they have bands of enamel, this is definitely a fragment of tooth

Neat, thanks for the info. I definitely would have dropped this one if I had found it.

26B2365E-C2A3-4793-8E5B-68584EA0756E.png.746d948d15a718f5153ab32b60a87ff9.png 8FC20729-9038-47AC-82BA-A7FECC35384D.png.659f2af2a4de08ccc258f7609cf5efeb.png
“The worse the country, the more tortured it is by water and wind, the more broken and carved, the more it attracts fossil hunters, who depend on the planet to open itself to us. We can only scratch away at what natural forced have brought to the surface.”
- Jack Horner