Marine reptile skull from Yunnan, China?

Crazyhen

This skull is 24cm in length, it's from Yunnan of China, Any idea if it belongs to a marine reptile, not icthyosaur?  And if it's a complete skull?623286511_WhatsAppImage2023-01-10at3_10_16PM.thumb.jpeg.bd3a17d0c2b1c45cef4c54ca8e83c198.jpeg

Hi,

seems to be some prepping work.

To me it looks good, only missing something to the right between orbita and mandible- as far as I can tell.

Best Regards,

J

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

might be an ichthyosaur skull from the side. (Mixosaurus panxiaensis is know from there and some others)Or only some bones (jaw, upper skull, some......? I would not decide when I see the pic..., but, when I look on the pic again it could be an isolated skull...

if it is cheap buy and try :-)

Edited by rocket
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

My first impression with this would also be that it's a mixosaur ichthyosaur, especially due to the large orbit and the weakly developed lower jaw. The area below the orbit and towards the back of the skull seems to be missing, though, and the rostrum would be rather short. So I doubt this is a complete skull. But that's the best I can make of it.

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett