Is it a T-rex tooth?

LordWampa

Unfortunately without a county or town I cannot provide you an ID.  There are lots of different tyrannosaurids in Montana and locality is the best way to  insure its from the Hell Creek Fm.  Its one of the most requirement of identification for dinosaur matetial.

• Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Unfortunately without a county or town I cannot provide you an ID.  There are lots of different tyrannosaurids in Montana and locality is the best way to  insure its from the Hell Creek Fm.  Its one of the most requirement of identification for dinosaur matetial.

Oh, I thought with hell creek fm and montana was enough. Tons of online "trex" teeth just say that. But it's good to know!!! Thanks!!!

Yep they do and you will not see me identify any of those teeth.  Just because online dealers do it, does not make it correct.   With the price of Trex teeth today lots of shady characters out there.  Montana has lots of tyrannosaurids in many different adjacent formations unlike those from North or South Dakota.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Yep they do and you will not see me identify any of those teeth.  Just because online dealers do it, does not make it correct.   With the price of Trex teeth today lots of shady characters out there.  Montana has lots of tyrannosaurids in many different adjacent formations unlike those from North or South Dakota.

I see. What is clear is that at the end you have to trust in a way the seller, because they could tell you a whatever place they like to don't race red flags.

Correct that is why you should deal with people you know and are trustworthy.  It also never speaks to the accuracy of their identification but if you know the locality you can most likely get it corrected. 

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Correct that is why you should deal with people you know and are trustworthy.  It also never speaks to the accuracy of their identification but if you know the locality you can most likely get it corrected. 

Ok so the seller has been honest and said he doesn't know exactly the place. Just Hell Creek Montana. With this is posible to conclude that is a Tyrannosauridae theeth? Or could be from another family?

Just now, Troodon said:

Oh it's definitely a Tyrannosaurid tooth.

So could be from any of this species right? 
image.png.872230410d18783c7c3d9d6bd4b05a8d.png

PD: Thanks for all the new knowledge I am getting from this Troodon

Its in a very rough shape. And without all the provenance location, I would pass on it. 

Its also a very small tooth , so unless you can get it for a bargain go for it. 

A Rex tooth is valuable, other Tyrannosaurids are worth a fraction, keep that in mind.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, LordWampa said:

So could be from any of this species right? 

Not necessarily and its not an up-to-date/accurate list.  Those are the tyrannosaurid species that are described from many different localities not necessarily Montana.  Also there are some formations in Montana that tyrannosaurids are present but not described or you cannot distinguish between different species present, and those are indeterminate tyrannosaurids.

Check this out

A

• I found this Informative 2