Texas - enamel or rock?

johnnyvaldez7.jv

Found this little piece...I think it's enamel...just wanted to be sure. I get fooled by lots of rocks from time to time and this may be no different.  And if it is enamel...could it be horse or mammoth? I've found both in the same area. 

20230121_204316.jpg

20230121_201617.jpg

20230121_201630.jpg

20230121_201730.jpg

20230121_201830.jpg

20230121_201554.jpg

20230121_204034.jpg

nice, it's enamel but not mammoth. The inner side of the enamel on mammoth teeth should be quite rugose

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Thank you Jared...my next question is: Is that entire piece enamel or does the enamel end at the line and the rest is mineralized tooth?

20230121_201630.jpg

you have a point, perhaps I spoke too soon, I'm not sure 

• Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

5 hours ago, Jared C said:

you have a point, perhaps I spoke too soon, I'm not sure 

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say this is worn mammoth enamel for sure. Maaaaaaaaybe Mastodon, but with how thin it is, I'm leaning heavily Mammoth.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I'd also say mammoth enamel, with the brownish section of the fragment being part of the preserved cementum that would have held the enamel plates in each tooth together. Normally the cementum tends to fall apart fairly quickly once the tooth has been exposed so it's fairly uncommon to see some still attached to the enamel. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Thanks GPayton. On these other mammoth fragments...is this cementum preserved on the backside as well? (I always thought it was some sort of matrix).  And the only reason why I had a doubt to this new piece as being from a mammoth...is the lines don't seem to be as defined or deep in comparison...but perhaps it's from wear. 

Photo_2023-01-22_01-01-36_PM.png

Photo_2023-01-22_01-25-12_PM.png

Screenshot_20230122_125844_Chrome.jpg

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv

I'm not @GPayton but it definitely looks like cementum to me on those pieces.  

As for depths of grooves, I have a small piece of enamel that's heavily worn with similar shallow grooves to yours.

• I Agree 2