Identification of Abelisaurid

Niranjan

I got this on online auction site few days ago, yet to arrive. The seller told me he got this from a dealer in Madagascar. Is this from Madagascar? Or is it from Kem Kem bed and the seller is just lying?

He has better reviews in online auction site but he described the tooth as Carcharodontosaurus 

94211e60-fedb-4c0d-bc85-87fe1b9a131c.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-19-01-17-22-15_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

5e6908d2-ae0f-4f2e-b2f4-85dbfb8aa190.jpg

00705c2b-e4d5-4a82-bd9f-85913dfb9aac.jpg

Yes it really looks like an indeterminate Abelisaurid tooth from the Kem Kem basin.  The matrix at the base is very KK red.

Seller may just not be knowledge about dinosaur material and is clueless.   Did they also mention that the tooth was broken and bottom section reattached

• I Agree 1

While there have been quite a few true Majungasaurus on the market lately, this is certainly not one of them. The ID could have been copy-pasted from a true Majunga listing, or as @Troodon said, clueless about dinosaurs.

The matrix, and preservation, morphology doesn't look right compared to other specimens on the market from Maevarano or the Jurassic Isalo III. It's most likely Kem Kem.

Edited by Kikokuryu
  • I Agree 1

Is it worth [price removed] or should I return the item ?

Edited by Kane
Removed price

This type of Abelisaurid teeth are common so I would focus on obtaining one that is higher quality without damage and repair.  However if the reattachment/repair does not bother you and you are comfortable with the price it's fine.

Where should I look for to find undamaged ones in the net ?

Also, are you saying that the bottom was completely detached and now glued to the top ?

11 minutes ago, Niranjan said:

We don't discuss dealers or sellers on TFF.  Please make any requests or recommendations via Private Message.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, Niranjan said:

Also, are you saying that the bottom was completely detached and now glued to the top ?

Sent you a PM .

Guns