Prepping Pyritized Elrathia Kingii

DarasFossils

Hello all,

I recently ordered a big piece of Wheeler Shale and have had loads of fun splitting the rock and finding Trilobites. I've got a nice complete specimen of each of the common species (Kingii, Wheeleri, Interstricta) as well as a ton of molts, cephalons, and pygidiums. I am a new prepper and thought this would be a good way to start, though my dream is to eventually learn how to do Moroccan or Russian trilobites. I've been practicing on the molts and parts of the trilos, but the head I am prepping currently looks like it is pyritized. It's got a few pyrite pieces on it, but as I'm washing and brushing it off, the whole thing looks to have a golden sheen. I'm worried the water I've been putting on the specimens to soften the matrix will damage the fossil, though I've been scrubbing and brushing it off before it soaks in too much. Should I stop using the water as soon as possible or is it okay? And how do you more experienced preppers handle the pyrite? I love the look of the gold and don't want to damage it. 

For now I've been using these tools:

Dental pick

Thin Steel Wool

Wire brush

Kneaded Eraser

Spray Bottle with Water

I'm planning to get an air scribe soon to prep the complete trilos with. 

Hi,

If your wire brush is made of brass, it’s normal that it leaves a gold-colored deposit, but it should be able to be washed with a little water, dishwashing product and a toothbrush (if your fossil allows).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Could you add some pictures of the trilobite you're referring to?

Air abrasive is the best bet for prepping Elrathia, you won't need an air scribe for the vast majority of Wheeler trilos

• I Agree 3

10 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

If your wire brush is made of brass, it’s normal that it leaves a gold-colored deposit, but it should be able to be washed with a little water, dishwashing product and a toothbrush (if your fossil allows).

Coco

That could be it for the rest of the trilobite, but there's also very visible small pyrite cubes on it that are part of the fossil I'm having to work around. Kind hard of to see on the picture, but they are there. I'll try to use soap on it briefly!

10 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Could you add some pictures of the trilobite you're referring to?

Air abrasive is the best bet for prepping Elrathia, you won't need an air scribe for the vast majority of Wheeler trilos

I'm planning to get the Trilobite kit from Paleotech with both the scribe and abrasive, so hopefully that will be good for the rest. Here's a picture of what I've done so far. Very frustrated with the white lines in the crevices, I don't know how people get them so black and shiny! These are two ventral Elrathia heads. 

IMG_5756.thumb.png.51e3819cf9ac80df04f7fe9f95af54ba.png

That looks about as prepped as it'll get to me, at that point I'd recommend leaving it as is, maybe add some paraloid or another consolidant. 

It's a bit hard to tell in this picture but I think the white lines are tiny scratches on the shell from the dental pick. The shiny black look is a result of air abrasion and consolidant, especially with baking soda used as the medium. Here's an example of some Wheeler bugs I prepped a couple years ago with baking soda and covered in paraloid. They are about the easiest trilos to prep and a great way to get started. 

764496259_20210606_2301592.thumb.jpg.7bf6d90395ad06be794b7412fe298c49.jpg

I can't personally speak to the efficacy of those starter kits, but I will warn that the style of abrasive pen in them is one that I don't care for, and those smaller (24L) air compressors will not keep up well with heavier duty scribes. 

Cheaper equipment can be a good way to get started on a budget but if you ultimately want to prep Moroccan and Russian trilos you will likely be forced to replace most of that equipment with higher end models and in the long run it will cost more.

1 minute ago, Huntonia said:

That looks about as prepped as it'll get to me, at that point I'd recommend leaving it as is, maybe add some paraloid or another consolidant. 

It's a bit hard to tell in this picture but I think the white lines are tiny scratches on the shell from the dental pick. The shiny black look is a result of air abrasion and consolidant, especially with baking soda used as the medium. Here's an example of some Wheeler bugs I prepped a couple years ago with baking soda and covered in paraloid. They are about the easiest trilos to prep and a great way to get started. 

764496259_20210606_2301592.thumb.jpg.7bf6d90395ad06be794b7412fe298c49.jpg

I can't personally speak to the efficacy of those starter kits, but I will warn that the style of abrasive pen in them is one that I don't care for, and those smaller (24L) air compressors will not keep up well with heavier duty scribes. 

Cheaper equipment can be a good way to get started on a budget but if you ultimately want to prep Moroccan and Russian trilos you will likely be forced to replace most of that equipment with higher end models and in the long run it will cost more.

Thank you for the info, I realize the dental pick is actually destroying the shell which is really bumming me out, because I wanted to try manual prep. I heard the shell was apparently much harder than the matrix so I wasn't being super careful, but I don't really believe that at this point. There's a distinct squeaking sound when I poke at it, but it still scratches off some dust, so I'm going to guess that sound is the sign to stop. I've destroyed a decent amount of the front from trying to prep it further, but at least it's just a molt and only my second try :/ At least I am learning. I've been trying all day to get it shiny but I think it is doing more harm them good. Do you have any specific recommendations for scribes or abrasives if that's allowed to post? I like the idea of a starter kit of course because I don't know what exactly to get. Your trilos are beautiful!!! I am quite jealous!

48 minutes ago, DarasFossils said:

Thank you for the info, I realize the dental pick is actually destroying the shell which is really bumming me out, because I wanted to try manual prep. I heard the shell was apparently much harder than the matrix so I wasn't being super careful, but I don't really believe that at this point. There's a distinct squeaking sound when I poke at it, but it still scratches off some dust, so I'm going to guess that sound is the sign to stop. I've destroyed a decent amount of the front from trying to prep it further, but at least it's just a molt and only my second try :/ At least I am learning. I've been trying all day to get it shiny but I think it is doing more harm them good. Do you have any specific recommendations for scribes or abrasives if that's allowed to post? I like the idea of a starter kit of course because I don't know what exactly to get. Your trilos are beautiful!!! I am quite jealous!

I just finished a small pygidium, and it turned out a lot better. Still not as good as the ones others have posted but it is better than my last one for sure. I went very, very light on the dental pick though there a still a few scratch marks which make me frustrated. Losing trust in this tool for the Wheeler trilos... 

Pic ?

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Pic ?

Coco

Ruined one on the top. Better one on the bottom. Bottom one was pretty much just the pick, with a small polish of beeswax, steel wool, and kneaded eraser. Let me know if you guys have any tips to improve either one of them, the information here has been really valuable to me so thank you all for replying. 

IMG_5758.thumb.png.1a219a6caf7038bf76403419880ed759.png 

I don’t have an opinion, but I’m sure you’ll get some answers. @piranha

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...