Green River palm restoration question

hadrosauridae

I have a question on "restoration".  I have a limestone slab from the Green River fm with a palm leaf imprint.  I say imprint, because the leaves have no coloration remaining.  I have been trying to decide on the best way to add color back so that you can actually see the leaves without needing some oblique lighting.   Because of the porosity of the stone, I worry that trying to paint them will leach the paint outward and make very blurry looking leaves.   I was thinking that using  a very thin consolidate should seal the stone without obscuring the detail and allowing it to be painted over the top without leaching.

Has anyone used a technique like this in the past?  Any tips? 

Just as a note, this isnt a fossil for sale, so I'm not trying to deceive anyone as to quality, this is going on display in my home when complete.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Hi hadr... these are typical of some layers on the GRF.  I have never been inspired to paint/stain them, so I have no advice, but think it would be tough to make it look unpainted..