Mosasaur tooth root

Hi.

I got this random mosasaur tooth in matrix. It has this unsmooth texture, so I assume it could be an fake root. Also I see two damaged white marks.

I am more interested about the crown, but I think its still good to know so I can notify about it if needed.

Thank you for your answers.

20230215_174746.jpg

20230215_174758.jpg

20230215_174827.jpg

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

the matrix around the tooth obviously looks fake looks way to smooth. it even has a different color and patern that the matrix on the outerside. Regarding the root, its hard to see at these photos. It might be real, the crown is real also. As they are really not rare, and inexpensive , I would wait until you find a beter example. The crown is also damaged on the right side. 

It appears in my opinion , that the tooth is placed in a fake matrix to give it more appeal. 

The root looks completely fake in my opinion, even without the chips highlighting the fact its been painted

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Would hot blade verify it?

My guess would be bone material due the texture.

Can I salvage the crown from it? It was not supposed to be in a collection, but an giveaway.

The chipping and repair visible, says that the back side is probably pretty ugly.  They wouldn't bury half of it in fake matrix if it was beautiful tooth.  Don't fret, its not a horrible item, just be sure that its labeled correctly for whomever it goes to.  Something like "Mosasaur tooth with reconstructed base, from Morocco" 

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I think I agree it might be best to not bust it apart. Atleast I should ask the opinion of one receiving it. Ironicly it worked as educational properties today with an real thing.

I also contacted seller and provided information and pictures for the future. I think the matrix thing helped him a lot, because it was easier to realize. I would not have noticed it.

Real crown, manufactured matrix, manufactured root. 
I've seen these pop up in retail shops and they're never sold with any honesty about what they are. Sometimes it's a fake "jaw" with 6 - 8 small, poor condition teeth.

The "rooted tooth" typically retails at 4x the cost of a nice crown only - which is why these are so popular to make.... huge profit.