Greasepilemop

Found in the Peace River, FL. Arcadia area.

I wasn't too excited about it but a man who was fossiling nearby wanted to see what I had found when I was leaving the spot and he said it was mammoth ivory. I do not think it is and told him that I didn't think so but he insisted quite enthusiastically. I am still learning and am a beginner so I told him he may be right and moved on with my day. But now I cant stop thinking about it haha, if that man is in here, I swear if you were trying me! :duh2:

The texture is hard and sounds quite like ceramic when tapped or dropped. It kind of appears rusty and dusty but it's not dusty and doesnt crumble when touched.  

I tried to include photos next to a penny and well lit from every angle. Thank you! 

20230215_114353.jpg

20230215_114411.jpg

20230215_114435.jpg

20230215_114440.jpg

20230215_114451.jpg

20230215_114509.jpg

20230215_114514.jpg

Hmmm.  If you're inclined to discount the identifications of enthusiastic strangers, this is hopeless.  ^_^ 

I think it is elephantoid ivory based on the delaminations and the crushed areas.  I can't see any Schreger lines, but in this sliver, the absence of that evidence is not evidence of absence.

The only alternative I can think of is petrified wood.  Pet wood in the Peace River tends to be massive, replaced by calcium phosphate or silica.  I don't think this is pet wood.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

If I found this in Texas, I'd immediately ID it as a small chunk of petrified wood.  It's consistent with the small pieces I find here, and I don't see anything that's distinctive for tusk.  That said, I'll defer to others more familiar with your region.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I agree with Harry.  The glossy smooth, 'soft looking', rounded edges and the lack of internal conchoidal fractures found in the silicates of petrified wood strongly suggest an ivory fragment.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ