Yet another Devonian hypostome

ScottBlooded

Hey it’s broken record Brian to ask about yet another hypostome.

Needmore formation of WV, Devonian. 10mm x 8mm. I even consulted the chart that @piranha  was kind enough to provide me with last time but I’m clearly still developing an eye for hypostome detail.

Pictured are both the internal and external molds. Ignore the partial goniatite above it (or enjoy its lovely suture lines, who am I to tell you what to do?)

As always thanks for your time!

B9F4BAAC-AC76-4CBB-AF29-D06AD2812D07.jpeg

EA586F1F-7BB0-4C5E-8C77-A10D021E8164.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

This one appears to be a good match of a synphoriine dalmanitid. Coronura, Needmorella and Odontocephalus are the possible taxa reported from the Needmore Shale. Unfortunately, there are very few figured examples of synphoriine hypostomes, so the best example for comparison is: Synphoria stemmata.

Hopefully a future hunt can yield another one in association with an easily recognized genus... mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2F

image.thumb.png.101cc9becbd314c1bd16bbf964fdcadb.png

Lespérance, P.J., Bourque, P.A. 1971
The Synphoriinae: An Evolutionary Pattern of Lower and Middle Devonian Trilobites.
Journal of Paleontology, 45(2):182-208 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, piranha said:

This one appears to be a good match of a synphoriine dalmanitid. Coronura, Needmorella and Odontocephalus are the possible taxa reported from the Needmore Shale. Unfortunately, there are very few figured examples of synphoriine hypostomes, so the best example for comparison is: Synphoria stemmata.

Hopefully a future hunt can yield another one in association with an easily recognized genus... mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2F

image.thumb.png.101cc9becbd314c1bd16bbf964fdcadb.png

Lespérance, P.J., Bourque, P.A. 1971
The Synphoriinae: An Evolutionary Pattern of Lower and Middle Devonian Trilobites.
Journal of Paleontology, 45(2):182-208 

Hah! Now that’s a positive development. Although still a tall order; I’ve never found an articulated hypostome out here before. Work continues.

With that in mind, I’m still looking for a fully articulated specimen. The holotype remains the only one I’ve found. As soon as I find one though, it’s coming your way. You have been and continue to be wonderfully generous with your time and knowledge.

• Enjoyed 1