Southeastern Oklahoma

Karlisea

Found inside of another rock when smashed outside of the Kiamichi mountains. Done the lick fossil test and it sucked saliva from the spot. What could it be? Aprx 2 1/2” tall 1 3/4in wide and 3/4” thick.  Softer than quartz. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not a fossil, and please don't lick rocks, the only thing that tests is if someone is gullible enough to lick it.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

Not a fossil, and please don't lick rocks, the only thing that tests is if someone is gullible enough to lick it.

I often hear the mistaken idea that licking rocks can tell you something. The actual technique involves simple touching your tongue to the specimen to see if it sticks. Sometimes it can detect the porosity of fossilized bone.

• I found this Informative 1

I feel like this could be some sort of tooth or claw, the lick test was conclusive stuck like a frozen light pole. On another note besides all the licking of rocks or fossils does anyone have a lead on this thing we've found imbedded inside of another rock of a gray color. 

If you google images of dinosaur teeth you will see that they generally show certain characters that we don't see here. They often have longitudinal striations and can have serrations along the edge. They almost always have some enamel present. The tongue test is only meant for bone so it will not stick to teeth or claws.

edit: I just noticed that the Kiamichi Mountains are well outside the Cretaceous deposits of southeastern Oklahoma. You are most likely in an area with exposures from the Pennsylvanian sub-period. No dinosaurs were around yet at that time.

Edited by BobWill
  • I found this Informative 1