GPayton

I found this small bone on my most recent trip to the North Sulphur River. I know the river produces Pleistocene material from the river terrace deposits every once in a while and this bone looks completely different from all of the Cretaceous vertebrate fossils I've seen in the river before (mosasaur, turtle, fish, etc.) so I assumed it must be Pleistocene in age. In fact, it looks exactly like the heavily-mineralized Pleistocene bones I find near Houston. The dark brown color, how smooth and heavy it is, and the high-pitched clink noise it makes when it's tapped by anything metal are all characteristics I'm used to seeing. 

I could tell right away that it was some sort of wrist or ankle bone, but because I've only handled astraguli and calcanea before I didn't know exactly which one. An hour of searching here on the forum allowed me to narrow it down to a scaphoid but beyond that I couldn't get any more precise. The only pictures I found that seemed to match the closest were scaphoids from bison and camels. Can anyone here confirm an ID one way or the other? I'll tag @Harry Pristis, @Shellseeker, @garyc, @fossilus to get some better-trained eyes on this. Thanks!

IMG_5369.thumb.jpg.7ac5718e4db283a7d4e362e78f458409.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

IMG_5372.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5374.jpg

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

It seems vaguely scaphoidish, but I don't recognize it beyond that.  I'd probably label it as "unid. carpal".  These bones are devilishly difficult to sort.

I agree with every word Harry said...

Here is a thread that ended with an ID for Bison Scaphoid....

Your find has some similarities,  but also differences...

Despite this success,  I do not feel comfortable discussing scaphoids...

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

You’re definitely on the right track, but I would not even hazard a guess. I can only echo what the others have said 

• I Agree 1