Geodized fossils?

JimTh

Hi folks, I ventured out today and found these in a creek in Monroe County, IN.  I've seen (what I think were) geodized fossils at a local show in the past, so I was keen on trying to find some of my own.  Attached are some photos.  I think one is a geodized horn coral, while the other appears to be a crinoid calyx or blastoid.  There is a small horn coral in some of the photos as a reference.  These were somewhat common in the creek.

I'm not really concerned about species here as they are fairly distorted, just interested in hearing if you think these are, in fact, geodized fossils.

Thanks!

Jim

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

I agree with jpc. Perhaps the term which you are looking for is "pseudomorph", which means that the original substance has been replaced by a mineral such as calcite.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, JimTh said:

I feel like you guys are getting hung up on semantics. 
Geodized appears to be a common term to describe the state these are in. 
https://www.mindat.org/mesg-545970.html

Would you agree that these are “silicified”?

Semantics are quite important in science. 

If you scroll down in the article that you have quoted, the specimens are hollow with crystals within. They are geodized. 

Geodized must mean that the subject is in the form of a geode, otherwise the term is used incorrectly. 

The specimens in question here seem to be silicified , but are they also geodized? 

I doubt it. 

You'd have to break them open to know and I wouldn't do that myself as they're quite nice. 

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, JimTh said:

I feel like you guys are getting hung up on semantics. 
Geodized appears to be a common term to describe the state these are in. 
https://www.mindat.org/mesg-545970.html

Would you agree that these are “silicified”?

needs to be proofed. To know if a fossils is silicified or not needs some investigation about the mineralization of the fossils. Normally not possible to see on a pics, sorry

• I Agree 1

I will agree that they are mineralized, but as rocket states, it's difficult to get more descriptive from looking at a photo.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!