Can any one help me figure out if this is actually petrified wood?

Denofbeast

This one given to me by my great grandma, who I believe found it in New Mexico years ago in one of her trips. 

The bottom has a smooth almost glass like texture, the top is also fairly smooth but not quiet as smooth, and the whole thing is hard as stone.  It weighs 5.780 pounds and is 26 inches around and three inches any it’s tallest point.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated 

AF0C77A0-27FF-4BFC-8C35-F38771792085.jpeg

F8F501B7-4402-4D82-A5B3-3AB470634188.jpeg

25F4A4E3-C3E2-4F31-AADF-4854DAD09CF3.jpeg

96127C3E-1E79-42A5-98A0-D7F3A1AB2F29.jpeg

33767A5B-BE63-460C-9920-E984B0372AB3.jpeg

9EA4D01E-92F8-4EE6-B477-77665A02DB3E.jpeg

D0B3D8CC-1593-4655-B3B1-54D80802C2F2.jpeg

Looks like a slice of wood that has been sawed on one side, but whether or not it is petrified I can’t tell.  The weight of 5.78 pounds seems light for its size for it to be petrified, but it is a complicated enough shape that it is possible.  Does it ring when you tap it with a hammer?

• Enjoyed 2

It looks like petrified wood with well developed ray structure to me. I suspect it may be an end that was removed and discarded in favor of better material. I think the 26" circumference may be deceptive in this instance. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Looks like a slice of wood that has been sawed on one side, but whether or not it is petrified I can’t tell.  The weight of 5.78 pounds seems light for its size for it to be petrified, but it is a complicated enough shape that it is possible.  Does it ring when you tap it with a hammer?

So, originally I was confused by what you meant by *ring* but then actually tapped it and it definitely rung.

@Rockwood oh thanks, that actually helped me understand it a lot more, my piece definitely rings. I also tried the burn text I saw and it doesn’t burn so that’s good.

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I think the 26" circumference may be deceptive in this instance. 

Comes from cutting 26" of tubing for a 30" job, or buying 36' of wire for a 40' job too many times. :)

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It looks like petrified wood with well developed ray structure to me. I suspect it may be an end that was removed and discarded in favor of better material. I think the 26" circumference may be deceptive in this instance. 

And if I had read the original post more carefully and noted 26” was the circumference, not the diameter, I would have realized it was definitely petrified :unsure:.

• I found this Informative 1