New to cleaning fossils

Guest Rcgutting

Guest Rcgutting

Although I have had a lifelong (40 plus yrs)  fossil collecting passion I am very inexperienced and recently took a deep dive into a 4 day excursion to the Marble Mountains looking for Trilobites. I don’t have the right words yet to describe my days there… i can’t wait to return… that’s not my question :)

... I have several pieces which I can see the fossil(s), however,  there is a a lot of dirt, which I am afraid to brush too hard with a brush. I am looking for advice on how to clean these fossils. If photos are helpful I can post. Thank you in advance. 

My experiences are there is not a one answer for all for these situations. I have some fossils that could withstand a wire brush and others that can barely take a wet paper towel. (And sometime too the same site produces fossils that fit in both those categories!)

Hopefully someone here has experience with these specific fossils/matrix and could give a better call here.

If you have excess material, maybe partial trilobites or sections of matrix, that you would not risk damaging something important I would try to lightly see if you could use just a dry paper towel to carefully flake/brush off excess dirt. 

• 1 month later...

I have collected the Latham shale a couple times and could, maybe possibly help but would need to see good photos to see whats up. I can tell you for the most part don't use water on the shale! The stuff breaks down quickly when wet.

• I found this Informative 1