Paraxenisaurus??

Nano Chick

Found this in the Hell creek formation in eastern montana. It measures 2 7/8” long by 3/4” wide. It definitely is not crock. Leaning towards paraxenisaurus. “Strange lizard”. It would be rare in the Hell Creek.

B2788046-C8CC-4B75-9647-233542082D54.jpeg

92C42338-0E19-4FEA-AEC0-7264DACF9BA8.jpeg

0DA370DF-FAAA-4110-A6C8-C668C71B52F6.jpeg

6BA5F032-9BE1-44AA-9733-B8C14CDE6DC2.jpeg

Edited by Nano Chick
Forgot to add photos

Never heard of that lizard in the HC.  Looks more like a jaw section of a Champsosaurus sp.  Do you have a locality where it was found?

Right , it is not a croc.  But Paraxenisaurus is not known from the HC or Lance or even North America... and there are no jaws or teeth of it known, so we have no idea what its teeth look like.   

It is a weird little jaw.  Do champsosaur teeth have those crenulations at the base?

Cool find.

Well out of my depths here but can we rule out something fishy like gar? That would explain conical teeth with crenulations at the base. :shrug:

Cheers.

-Ken

41 minutes ago, jpc said:

Do champsosaur teeth have those crenulations at the base?

Absolutely see " d " an exact match.  The jaw in my collection is similar

Screenshot_20230309_161800_Drive.thumb.jpg.c4bcbe50ad712a36b365d6b3f4453260.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

then I'm sold... it must be a champsosaur jaw, huh?   

My day is complete... I learned something new.  

20 hours ago, jpc said:

Right , it is not a croc.  But Paraxenisaurus is not known from the HC or Lance or even North America... and there are no jaws or teeth of it known, so we have no idea what its teeth look like.   

It is a weird little jaw.  Do champsosaur teeth have those crenulations at the base?

Cool find.

Paraxenisaurus normalensis is a genus of deinocheirid ornithomimosaur, the first of its kind to be named from North American rocks. A fragmentary partial skeleton was found in the Cerro del Pueblo formation in Coahuila, Mexico.  So while it is known from North America, spatiotemporally it does not belong in the Lancian biota, rather existing during the late Campanian in coastal environments much further south. Regardless, given the fact that we are looking a jaw section with multiple teeth, I would think its safe to say that it does not belong to an ornithomimosaur, whose later members are all known to be edentulous. I am curious if the OP was thinking of something else when mentioning Paraxenisaurus

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0895981120301231 

20 hours ago, Troodon said:

Never heard of that lizard in the HC.  Looks more like a jaw section of a Champsosaurus sp.  Do you have a locality where it was found?

I am inclined to agree with @Troodon Thanks for the reference, is there a clear way to distinguish between some of these champsosaur teeth and those of the amiids?

• I found this Informative 1

well, darn.  Pass me the stupid hat.  That is the same paper I looked at and somehow I read the locality as being in Argentina.  Anyone else want me to do some poor quality research for them?  

• Enjoyed 1