Name that Devonian trilobite noggin

ScottBlooded

Alright you know the drill (because clearly you follow all of my posts here [sarcasm]): this dude is from the Needmore formation in West Virginia which makes him Devonian, specifically emsian to eifelian. I know I’ve found more pieces of this guy before but I can’t find the photos just now, if they become necessary I’ll dig them up. He’s the rarest type of trilobite I find out here though and have yet to get a good diagnosis, even when working with a professional (something along the lines of Coronura was the closest guess I think, but that was with just a glabella to work with). This piece is by far the most I’ve ever found of one specimen but I also recognize that it’s not much to go on. 2cm long and around 1.4cm wide and the widest point. As always, thank you for your time.

FB25CC37-0879-46F6-AA6F-2292AE2036F9.jpeg

D3AADAB1-3646-4963-94C2-CD60F5BD4D26.jpeg

1B8F1D17-6EC9-44C9-9E93-085E269CE8E2.jpeg

DEBBCF41-B24D-451F-A113-A2C8598EE497.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

10 hours ago, piranha said:

The key features are the toothy projections along the anterior cephalic margin: Odontocephalus aegeria

image.png.1649e4c0860299ceaa21002792f5778f.png

I hadn’t even noticed those, very cool! Finding a complete one out here will continue to be an irrationally lofty goal for me. Thank you!

10 hours ago, ScottBlooded said:

Finding a complete one out here will continue to be an irrationally lofty goal for me.

Not like you haven't pulled off lofty goals in the past. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1